A Rough Patch in the Season

In just over 11 days, Demon Varsity Hockey has played six games in one of the busiest sections of the schedule thus far.


The first game of the stretch was away against Steamboat. Three well fought periods later and the Demons went down 3-0 after an empty net goal by Steamboat to secure the win.


Next up was a home match against Chaparral High. Currently ranked 39th in the nation the team knew it would be an uphill battle. But they were determined and by the halfway mark of the game the Demons held them to a 2-0 lead. 


Unfortunately a penalty taken by a Demon led to a complete defensive collapse with 7:30 left in the second period. Chaparral went on a rampage netting five goals in seven minutes and four more in the third period. Final score 11-0. Combined both goalies, Marek Senn and Hunter Oger, faced 53 shots on net.


After that tough loss the Demons headed to Loveland for a game against Resurrection Christian. Once again the Demons were held scoreless but this time the opponent was kept to only two goals for the game. Final score was a 2-0 loss.


Next was the start of a six-game home stand kicking off with a match against Crested Butte. The main concern for the team in this game was to end the losing streak or at the very least not be shutout again. 


The game went two periods without a goal from either team. Then in the third period the floodgates opened. Crested Butte netted 3 points while Junior Avner Mangeot scored for the Demons off an assist from Senior Ross Barlow. The final score ended up 3-1 finally breaking the shutout streak.


Battle Mountain was a rough game. With over 19 penalties from both sides and a Battle Mountain ejection there were a lot of power plays to be had. Unfortunately our opponent for this game happens to have the best power play in the state so not the best team to take penalties against. 


The final score ended up being 6-2 with five of Battle Mountain’s goals being on the powerplay and one of ours, scored by Senior Matthew Roggie.

Only counting even strength goals though, you would wind up with a 1-1 hockey game with the remaining goal being scored by Senior Cooper Luetke.


Finally a rematch with Steamboat came up. This time it was the Demons who would come out on top. Steamboat scored the first goal then we got it back. 1-1 going into intermission. The Demons came out guns blazing and scored a second goal early in the second period making it 2-1. The rest of the period went scoreless for either side. Then in the third period the Demons scored early yet again. At the end of the game Steamboat pulled their goalie and the Demons scored an empty net goal to put the game away. 


Final score was 4-1. Senior Ross Barlow scored two of those while Junior Kaleb Holm scored the others.


So after this rough patch the Demons record stands at 3-8 for the season but the Demons hope to start a winning streak with the upcoming games. The next and final three games on the home stand go as follows. Air Academy on Friday the 28th, Aspen on Saturday the 29th, and Summit on Wednesday the 2nd.