October Declared LGBTQIA+ History Month

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Rainbow Flag consists of six stripes, with the colours red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and violet

Dania Chavez, Brimstone Reporter

The state of Colorado, as well as the whole United States, has declared October 2022 to be LGBTQIA+ (Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex and asexual) History Month celebrates the accomplishments of 31 LGBTQIA+ luminaries. Every day in October, a new LGBTQIA+ Icon will be featured. LGBTQIA+ History Month might not exist if it weren’t for Rodney Wilson, a 29-year-old Missouri history high school teacher who came out to his class in 1994. Wilson said after teaching about the Holocaust that if he had lived at the time, he may have been executed for being homosexual. Wilson’s goal for the educational and joyful month was to devote time to LGBTQIA+ history education.

“The greatest act of campaigning for civil rights for LGBTQIA+ Americans is the act of coming out,” said Wilson. The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, the Human Rights Campaign, the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, the National Education Association, and other organizations backed his efforts. October already coincided with other important LGBTQIA+ events like National Coming Out Day (October 11) and the 1979 National March in Washington for Lesbian and Gay Rights, so it seemed like the perfect option. In the month of October, there were also a number of noteworthy events:

• People are urged to wear purple on Spirit Day, which is commemorated annually on the third Thursday in October, this year on October 21st, and was first observed in 2010.
  • Matthew Shepard was murdered in October of 1998, and this month commemorates the 20th anniversary of his death.
  • October 26th, Intersex Awareness Day is observed in the United Kingdom, Hungary, Canada, Australia, Brazil, Ireland, Greenland, and Berlin.

The LGBTQIA+ community is the only widespread community whose history is still not taught at home, in public schools, or in religious organizations throughout the world. LGBTQIA+ History Month promotes role models, fosters community, and makes a civil rights statement about our outstanding accomplishments to the United States and across the world.