DeathNote & Morality

Dania Chavez, Brimstone Reporter

Many fans of anime or crime dramas have watched or heard about Death Note, and there has recently been a strong debate concerning the main character’s morals. As a god of death, a shinigami may kill anybody if they glimpse their victim’s face and write their name in a notebook known as a death note. Ryuk, dissatisfied with the shinigami way of existence and curious about how a human might use a death note, dumps one into the human world one day.

Light Yagami, a gifted high school student, comes upon the death note and, since he despises the status of the world, puts it to the test by putting a criminal’s name in it. When the criminal dies soon after his experiment with the death note, Light is taken aback and realizes just how dangerous the power that has slipped into his hands may be.

With this heavenly power, Light intends to wipe out all criminals in order to create a new world free of crime, where people worship him as a god. Police, on the other hand, swiftly establish that a serial murderer is stalking criminals and attempting to catch the perpetrator. To do so, the Japanese investigators enlist the help of the world’s top detective: a young and quirky guy known only by the initials L.

People frequently have misconceptions in the anime community, and one of the most common ones I’ve seen is about Light Yagami’s morality. People sometimes conflate Light’s ideology with his method or approach. Light believed that in order for society to improve itself, it needed to remove what was essentially harming it. While agreeing with Light’s beliefs is understandable, people must understand that the moment Light began mass-murdering criminals, he became a criminal himself. Regardless of Light’s intentions, his power corrupted him and it went to his head “What do you think of that, L? This is my perfect victory! That’s right—I win!” (Light lingers at the cemetery after L’s burial, starts laughing hysterically, crawls on top of L’s grave, and yells with a demented expression on his face in this deleted scene.). It got to the point that Light would either remove you for going against him or for failing to satisfy his social standards. 

Light murdered a lot of innocent people, and he was completely wrong. The cat and mouse troupe, as well as the mental games performed with similarly bright lead characters, are all quite well-done. Despite the series’ numerous fallacies, it provides an incredible glimpse into the inner workings of the mind and how quickly it may be perverted/ corrupted. 

The overall rating is 8.5/10