Glenwood Springs High School Soccer Storms to the Playoffs

Willa Corcoran, Brimstone Reporter

The boys varsity soccer team is headed to the playoffs after beating cross-valley rival Basalt 2-0 on Saturday in Glenwood Springs. The Demons had a very strong regular season with a record of 8-6-1. Tension and anticipation are in the air as the playoffs approach.

In the regular season finale, the Basalt team put up a strong fight. But with good teamwork and a hardworking goalkeeper, the Demons were able to hold a shutout against the Longhorns and build some momentum headed toward the postseason.

The first of two goals was scored by #7 Erick Cordero, a junior at GSHS. Erick scored the goal in the first half, and the second goal was scored in the second half by #16, Juan Chacon, a senior at GSHS. Juan Chacon, Ried Swanson, Cooper Proctor, Dylan West, and Kevin Popaco are all graduating seniors of 2022 and were able to celebrate Senior Night with a proper send off. The game was played well and the team held strong, having one close call for a goal but unfortunately for Basalt, an offsides was called and the goal was snatched from their reach, giving the Glenwood team a shutout for the rest of the game.

The varsity boys soccer team will begin the playoff run Thursday, Oct. 28, at Battle Mountain. So let’s go down and support our team and cheer them on in the playoffs. GO DEMONS!