Squid Game Review

Marelin Olivia Garcia, Brimstone Reporter

South Korea is doing great with K-dramas, but they have recently released a show that has broken Netflix records and become the talk of the world. A show in which many people in long-term, debilitating debt would like to participate if it were real, that is being made as memes nowadays. The show that has captured everyone’s attention is called Squid Game, where we follow Soeng Gi-Hun’s life as he was in severe financial debt. An opportunity arises to pay off all his debts by becoming a contestant in a series of childhood games. The risk is paramount, as the winners of the game are free from debt, while the losers are “eliminated” and murdered on the spot.

Even as spoilers were floating around social media, the producer still found a way to shock the audience with a plot twist. With a feeling of anxiety about what’s to come, sadness, unforeseen betrayal, and anger with the outcome, the storyline takes the audience for a thrilling ride. The story is unbelievable in how the characters’ decisions shape the story, but it seems that the producers attempted to make a specific character act more realistic in the situation, which many people agree with.

However, this show brings many mixed emotions. For some parents, it is a disgraceful show and they don’t agree with the content Netflix decided to release. Squid Game has a rating of 15+, but some people think that it should be rated TV-MA, meaning it’s a 17+ show, as the show features intense violence, gruesome scenes, suicide, and more. Even though this show is very popular among teens, some schools have gone to the measure of informing parents of the dangers the show presents after students were reported to have beaten up the losers of the schoolyard version of the game. For this reason, parents have been encouraged not to allow their kids to watch. Due to its content, it would be neither justice nor injustice if they decide to cancel the show, as everyone has a different opinion about it.