Join The GSHS Mock Trial Club!

Sofia Lozano, Brimstone Reporter

The GSHS Mock Trial Club is a positive academic program that gives students an opportunity to expand their speaking, writing, reading, and analytical skills while learning about the judicial system. The club is largely run by its coaches. Students can contact Glenwood alumni and now teacher as well as coach, Isabel Carlson.  “Mock trial is a competitive program where students try a case playing both the witness and attorney roles; during meetings, teams develop their materials and practice running the case,” explains Carlson.

Mock trial usually runs September-March, however some years, the team participates in tournaments that extend through the summer. Mock Trial competes in multiple tournaments throughout the state of Colorado, and sometimes in New York. Although there are team captains, Mock Trial is largely run by its coaches. Each week, the students are expected to be at their team meetings a couple hours, twice a week. There are also about 2-3 weekends a year the team goes out of town for tournaments.

“My favorite part about mock trial is how it inspires confidence in students when it comes to public speaking, thinking on their feet, and critical thinking. Very few students have gone on to a career in law because of the mock trial program, but they all use the skills they’ve used from it,” says Carlson. Obviously Mock Trial is an incredibly positive club with a lot of benefits. Don’t be afraid to shoot Isabel Carlson an email at [email protected] if you wish to join, or simply if you have any questions.