Demons Survive Home Opener, Prepare for Basalt in Homecoming Week

Rustyn Randolph

Images taken by Rustyn Randolph

Stefan Wroblewski, Brimstone Sports Reporter

The Glenwood Springs Demons were ecstatic to play their first home game last Friday in a thrilling game against the league’s only other 2-0 team. Although they had an astounding start to the game, putting up 21 in the first half, their grip began to slip as the Conifer Lobos began to put up a fight.

Glenwood roared out to a 14-0 lead in the first quarter, and it seemed as though the Demons were on their way to a blowout victory. However, the Lobos had other thoughts. The visitors trailed 21-13 at halftime, but a quick score to start the second half put the game well within reach for the Lobos.

Demons senior Ray Rosenmerkel recognized the change in momentum and led the Demons back into command by returning the ensuing kickoff 42 yards to give Glenwood Springs a comfortable 28-19 lead by the end of the third quarter. To top things off, Rosenmerkel bolted down the field for a 60 yard rush in the fourth quarter, which put the Demons up 35-19. 

On the defensive side of the ball, the Demons held strong and were able to shut down five offensive drives from the Lobos. Anytime a tackle was made you could see senior Teddy Huttenhower and freshman Mason Markovich in the proximity, either making the tackle or assisting it. The defense stood their ground galiently, but unfortunately were caught off guard a number of times where the Lobos began introducing plays that took advantage of the Demons defensive positioning. The Lobos managed to score once more during the fourth quarter, ending the game with a final score of 35-27. 

The Demons now shift focus to defending their field against the Basalt Longhorns for this week’s Homecoming game. Last year the Demons fought extremely well in a neck to neck game and were able to secure the victory, but now the Longhorns seek revenge. Tickets for the game this Friday at 7 p.m. can be purchased at the gate before or during the game.