Demons Taste First Round of Playoffs

Photo+Taken+by+Johnathan+Webster+

Photo Taken by Johnathan Webster

Jaymin Kanzer, Sports Editor

The Glenwood Springs Demons varsity football team matched up against the Salida Spartans for their last regular-season game. Which they won in an onslaught 49-0 to win their division title and lock down an undefeated season. 

The Demons haven’t gone undefeated in over a decade when they went 14-0 in the regular season and then made it all the way to the state championship before losing their first game of the season. The year this happened? 2010. 

After big back-to-back wins against two of the best teams in the league, the Rifle Bears and the Basalt Longhorns. The Demons had their undefeated season and the league title closing in on their sights. Their last opponents, the Spartans, hadn’t won a game all season

“I think we just had a good week of practice and we didn’t let our heads get too big after beating Rifle. We have the same mindset before every game, 1-0 on the play, 1-0 on the day.” Senior captain Wheatly Nieslanik said. 

The game was a blowout, with lots of the props going to the unexpected hero of the season, freshman quarterback Joaquin Sandoval. He threw for his personal best, 129 yards, completing 11 out of his 16 attempts. He also got four touchdowns to his name, three in the air and one on the ground. 

Two of his touchdown passes, fell into the arms of junior Evan Heyl, who started the season evidently at quarterback, but was moved over to tight end and it has worked out wonderfully. He caught three passes for 38-yards and two touchdowns. 

Star running back Blake Nieslanik had to get in on the fun, which he did. Breaking the plane of the end zone twice, once in the air and once on the ground. He also rushed for 58-yards on five attempts. 

Ray Rosnemerkel, a junior who is mainly a punt returner and a running back, had a great game as a receiver, catching four passes for 36-yards and a touchdown. 

By halftime, the score was 42-0 and the Demons put in their backups for the second half. Alphonso Angeles got the first varsity touchdown of his career, scoring the lone seven points in the second half of the game on a red-zone run play. 

The Demons beat down on the Salida Spartans and ended the game with 49-0 reading on the scoreboard. 

This win won the league title for Glenwood and brought the first round of the playoffs back to Glenwood, something that hasn’t been seen in over a decade. 

The Demons face the Northfield Nighthawks from the front range. The eighth seed went 3-3 in their spring league, matching them up against the number one seed, Glenwood Demons. The game is being played at Stubler Memorial Field at Glenwood Springs High School at three pm on Saturday, May 1st.  If all goes well, the Demons will face off against the winner of the four and five seed game. The Rifle Bears and The Academy Wildcats from Colorado Springs. That game is taking place at 1 pm at Bear Stadium in Rifle on the same Saturday.