Demon Girls Advance to Second Round

Demon Girls Advance to Second Round

Jaymin Kanzer, Sports Editor

The Glenwood Springs Demons girls basketball team is moving onto the next round of the 2021 CHSAA Girls Basketball State Tournament, as the Demons trounced the Weld Central Rebels 52-33. 

After an impressive 8-4 regular season capped off by an amazing 4 game win streak and winning 7 of the last 8 games, the Demons won the league title with ease, then moved on to the state tournament. They first matched up against the Weld Central Rebels, a team that puts up an average of 55 points, the Demons were in for a tough matchup. 

We knew we would have to win this game defensively. Our defense is something that we could 100% control. Luckily we had practiced playing against teams like Weld Central who had one or two girls who were solid that we had to shut down. We had practiced double-teaming players which shut down their main players. Our defense is so strong because our chemistry is so strong. If one of us was still getting back on defense, another teammate was stepping up on their player. We were all moving in unison.” Senior co-captain Maddie Moser said. 

The game started slow, with only 10 points being recorded between both teams, the Demons were on top 7-3, Glenwood picked it up in the second though, putting 12 up and taking a 5-point lead going into halftime. The Rebels started to comeback in the third, closing the lead to only three points. The Demons then put on the jets in the fourth quarter. They put 21 points up to the Rebels measly 5 points, to win the game by 19 points. 

“Our energy [sparked us in the fourth.] We were so pumped and proud of ourselves. We knew that everyone has doubted us this season and we finally started playing for ourselves,” Moser said. 

After the win, the Demons now face off against the George Washington Patriots from east Denver. The Patriots went 13-1 overall and 9-0 in their league to win the title. 

“We prepare with the same game plan. We can’t get in our heads and beat ourselves from the start. We have everything we need to beat this team, now we just need to go out and execute,” Moser said. 

The Demons face the Patriots on Thursday, March 10th at George Washington High School at 5:30 pm. You can watch this game on the Glenwood basketball Facebook page, or the NFHS streaming site.