Lady Demon’s Bring the Fire

Lady Demon’s Bring the Fire

Jaymin Kanzer, Sports Editor

The Glenwood Springs Demons women’s basketball team had a dominant season and grabbed the league title to go 8-4 in the regular season. 

The girls had a tough start, losing three of the first four games that they played. They started the season off at home, playing against the Basalt Longhorns, a team that started the season off 8-0. After two straight losses, one to Basalt, then to the Coal Ridge Knights, the Demons managed to pull off an onslaught of the Summit Tigers, 48-29 to get a little momentum. All of which was lost after a heartbreaking road loss to their rivals the Rifle Bears. 

“I think we realized that we don’t have time to sit back and wait to get better because of the accelerated season. If we were going to start winning games, it had to be now. We couldn’t wait for our feet to get under us, we just had to hit the ground running. We tried to take advantage of even playing and playing like every game was our last because we didn’t know if it was going to be,” senior co-captain Maddie Moser said.

After the painful loss to the Rifle Bears, the Demons went on a 4 game winning streak. They started it off with a close win against the Eagle Valley Devils, 39-30 at home. 

The Palisade Bulldogs then traveled to the High School to face off against the Demons. The game went down to the wire where it was knotted at 39 apiece at the buzzer of the end of the fourth quarter. The game couldn’t be decided in regulation, so more time was added where the Demons prevailed 43-42. 

The third game of the winning streak came at the paws of the Battle Mountain Huskies, where the Demons massacred the Huskies 60-29. The Demons kept up the high-scoring wins with a 28 point victory over the Steamboat Springs Sailors. 

“We were a family. We not only felt like we had to play our hardest but our chemistry in and off the court was crazy. We all had gotten so close which helped us lockdown on the court,” Moser said. 

The winning streak came to an end after a high-scoring game against the Bulldogs. The Demons had a very slow start to the game, only scoring three points in the first quarter. They made up for it in the second putting nearly 20 points up in the second quarter. It wasn’t enough as the Bulldogs pulled away with the victory. 52-49 was the final score. 

The game after the Demons picked up right where they left off, beating Eagle Valley 47-35. The final game of the season was the Demons senior night, where the two co-captains played their final regular-season game. Maddie Moser and Graci Dietrich are moving on to bigger and better things. Moser is still deciding between two smaller schools in California. 

“I am debating whether to get in touch with the basketball coach, but I will definitely be playing intramural or club,” she said. 

Dietrich will be attending the Rochester Institute of Technology and plans to play basketball. 

In the game, the Demons started the game with a roaring fire underneath them, putting 21 points in the first quarter. Sophomore Joslyn Spires and junior Ella Johnson both put up 11 in the victory. The score was 49-41 when the final buzzer buzzed, and the Demons won the league with that victory. They finished the season 8-2 in league games and 8-4 overall. 

In such a happy moment, Moser couldn’t help but feel some heartache 

“It’s really sad. Sports has been the reason highschool has been so fun and to have it end is super sad,” Moser said. 

The Demons match up against the Weld Central Rebels on Tuesday, March 9th at Weld Central in Keenesburg. The game will be streamed on the Glenwood Springs basketball Facebook page.