Demon Hockey Back at it Again with Big Wins

Taken by Jaymin Kanzer

Jaymin Kanzer, Sports Editor

The Glenwood Springs Demons hockey team managed to relight the fire underneath them, as they go 3-0 in the past three games. 

The Demons started the three-game stretch at home. Facing their number one rivals, the Aspen Skiers. Glenwood struck first, the shot coming off of senior defensemen Max Mencimers stick. The assists coming from co-captain Colter Strautman, and Nolan McPherson. Strautman got one of his own only 22 seconds later with assists coming from the other co-captain, Connor Powell, and Mencimer. Aspen got two late goals to knot the score at two’s going into the first intermission. The only scoring of the second period came off Strautmans Bauer Nexus with the assist coming from Mencimer once again. Mencimer put one more in late in the third to put the game out of reach for a comeback. That didn’t stop senior Robbie Weir from shooting on an empty net with only 30 seconds left to put the Demons up 5-2. Mencimer received the player of the game title after his two-goal and two-assist game.

“It did feel good to get that recognition, but the more important thing from that game was that we as a team came together and played hard and captured the first Demon win against Aspen,” Mencimer said in reference to the player of the game label. 

With the momentum on their side, the Demons traveled to Breckenridge to face off against the Summit Tigers. 

“We show up to work. We look at every team the same way, so Friday’s game was no different,” senior Nolan McPherson said.

The Demons got on the ice and were hungry for blood. From the first puck drop, the Demons began an absolute onslaught of the Tigers. They put four goals in, in the first period alone. Seniors Strautman, McPherson, and Traven Hammond all put one in during the first period, as well as junior Ross Barlow. 

“We just focused on not putting ourself’s in the position where we would need to take a penalty. This really helped us, because it’s never fun playing down a man. This boosted our overall attitude, and was a key factor to our win,” Strautman said. 

The Tigers tried to claw their way back into the game in the second, putting two past senior goalie Daelin Renzi, but a tip goal by Weir put the game out of reach for the Tigers and the Demons prevailed 5-2. Junior Aiden Senn received the Player of the Game nod in the win. 

With two wins under their belt in straight games, the Demons looked to keep the streak going, matching up against Aspen once again. The Demons barraged the Skiers goalie by more than doubling their shots; 42-19. After a roughing call on the Skiers, the Demons found themselves up one man. They took advantage of the power play as Strautman put the first one past Aspens keeper of the game. After the first period, the Demons had nearly 4 times the shots that Aspen did, 15-4. 

It was more of the same in the second period. Sophomore Jett Weatherred put his second of the season past the goalie, and Barlow put his third in. The Demons nearly tripled the Skiers shots in this period 17-6. 

Early into the third period, Strautman put his 10th of the season into the back of the net with the assist coming from Weir, and McPherson. The game was out of reach already. But a Strautman breakaway with sophomore Avner Mangeot trailing him created yet another scoring opportunity. Seconds earlier, McPherson was called for a soft slashing penalty. The Demons were one man down, but Mangeot found himself standing unguarded right in front of the net. A good pass from Strautman and the game was 5-0. 

“Colter gave me a great pass and luckily it went in. It felt great to get the first goal of my varsity career and hopefully, there are many more to come,” Mangeot said. 

The Demons held the Skiers to under 20 shots in the game at 19, and no goals allowed. A shutout for the young goalie Hunter Oger was great for his confidence. 

“Our team played great in front of me as I only had 20 shots in the entire game. Max played out of his mind, throwing his body in front of the puck to stop it for me. It was a good game and it brought my confidence up a ton getting my first varsity shutout as well as having it be against Aspen.” Oger said. 

“We didn’t just have two defensemen and three forwards out on the ice. We had 5 Demons players that all knew how important it is to keep them to the outside and press them hard. We really just love beating Aspen, and the way to do that was to play very disciplined defense,” said Powell. 

The Demons had three games left on their schedule, two of which were against the Steamboat Sailors. Steamboat just had an outbreak of COVID-19, so at the moment these games were canceled, which also cancels the Demons playoff hopes. Glenwood has one game left on their schedule and it is the third game against the Summit Tigers. This game takes place on Friday, March 5th at home. You can find this game on the Glenwood Demons Facebook page where it will be live-streamed. https://www.facebook.com/glenwoodsprings.hockey.3 is the link to watch the games.