43-Time-Oscar Winner Visits GSHS Journalism Class

Taken by GSHSBrimstone

Kyley Fishman and Ava Hillbrand, Editor-in-Chief, Reporter

Despite leaving your hometown, you’ll always find your way back. 

Last Friday, 5th- generation Glenwood Springs native, Jeremy Hubbard, video-chatted with Glenwood Springs High School’s Journalism class, bringing insight not just into his own life, but also speaking about his career as a journalist. 

Unlike many other people when they were teenagers, Hubbard always had a profound calling for what he wanted his future career to be: Journalism. In an interview conducted over Google Meet, Hubbard fondly recalled when, as a child, he’d listen to the police scanner at his grandmother’s house, and at his aunt’s, take whatever newspapers were around the house and read them front to cover, mesmerized by the world and the stories. Most predominantly, what inspired him to become a journalist was in high school when he was watching the 1989 World Series in San Francisco. 

“There was an earthquake {in the middle of the game} and the cameras started rattling,” said Hubbard. “I was watching this unfold and I was mesmerized by it. I saw these reporters out there and I just thought, what a fascinating career.” 

His fascination with the obscure and dangerous within the world of reporting only began to grow from there. Hubbard recounted a memorable moment after a tornado struck a nearby town when he was living in Kansas, “{he} would grab {his} dad’s video camera and drive to Heston just minutes after a tornado hit and just take pictures of some of the damage.” 

While this may sound unsafe, and let’s be honest, a bit insane to others, Hubbard embraced finding the newest story wherever, and whenever, he could. 

“I don’t know if you’re born with it or you develop it,” Hubbard chuckles. “But when other people run away from crazy stuff, {I} tend to want to run toward it. I’ve always had that, and so, from a young age, I think I’ve always wanted to do this.” 

Eventually, Hubbard found his way into the journalism program at Wichita State University. Here, Hubbard began to make his ascent into the world of broadcasting, beginning his career at a TC station as an assignment editor, helping to answer phones and dispatch news crews to go cover breaking news. After graduating, he continued to stay in Wichita as a reporter before going to Kansas City for six years. Then, once gaining even more experience, he found his way back to Colorado, becoming a weekend anchor on FOX31 Denver from 2004-2007. 

“It’s the goal of a lot of people in this business to go work for the networks (ABC, NBC, or CBS) and I was lucky enough to get to go do that,” said Hubbard proudly. 

Hubbard’s dedication to his craft found him living in New York as a New-York based anchor and correspondent in 2007. While there wasn’t much to cover during that time of night, besides “drunk college kids” and “nursing mothers,” as Hubbard jokingly said, this was essentially the opening to his journalistic breakthrough. Eventually, Hubbard would be covering  breaking news, severe weather, the economy and more on popular news programs such as “America this Morning,” “Good Morning America,” “World News Now,” and “Nightline.” 

“I did that for years, and then we had our first kid,” said Hubbard. “I wanted to get back to Denver. Thankfully it just worked out that our main anchor here {at Denver}…was getting ready to retire. So they asked if I would come back and take his job and it worked out great- so here I am and I’ve been back here for about 10 years.”

Now, with two kids, Hubbard still is making history. 

Since returning to FOX31 Denver, Hubbard has traveled to and reported from more than 40 countries. He’s profiled Colorado Air Force reservists in Afghanistan, interviewed local veterans at the battlefields of Vietnam, and has met with WWII heroes at Normandy, Pearl Harbor, and the Pacific Islands. His dedication to telling others stories has led him to concentration camps in Poland to talk with Holocaust Survivors who had come to Colorado after/during WWII. He’s reported from North Korea, Japan, China, Indonesia, the Philippines, Israel, and more. It seems as though there’s very little of the world that hasn’t seen Jeremy Hubbard. 

In 2020, Hubbard was recognized as “Best Anchor” by the Colorado Broadcasters Association, the Associated Press Television and Radio Association, and the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (NATAS)/Heartland Chapter “Emmy Awards.” He’s won 43 Emmy’s, six for “Best Anchor.” He’s won seven regional Edward R. Murrow Awards and in 2018, his coverage of veterans helped FOX31 win the “Celebration of Service to America” Award. 

But despite these amazing accomplishments, Hubbard always looks fondly back on his beginnings. In honor of his college education, in 2012, he and his wife, Taunia, started the Jeremy Hubbard and Taunia Hottman Scholarship in Communication at WSU in hopes of helping future aspiring-journalists pay for their education. 

“As long as you have the right ambition and the right drive … and bust your hump and work your way up like I did… that kind of hard work can pay off,” said Hubbard about becoming a journalist. “These are the things that can help. Meeting people professionally and getting to know them and having them help you… I’m always interested in getting more people involved in this. We need more good people.” 

Now, in his second stint with FOX31 Denver, Hubbard co-anchors Denver News at 5 p.m., 9 p.m., and 10 p.m., with Aristea Brady. 

Snippet of interview: https://drive.google.com/file/d/165KSjJj4xVsLFIIaWKaJU7ux7Os8Gzdp/view