GSHS Demons Hockey Fights On

Taken by Jaymin Kanzer

Jaymin Kanzer, Sports Editor

In a season that got delayed three months, the Glenwood Springs Demons hockey team finally had their first game of the season against Battle Mountain, where they tied 2-2. 

The Demons actually had their first two games scheduled for the weekend of the sixth, but due to a huge snowstorm, the Demons were unable to travel all the way to Steamboat Springs, so another postponement reduced the Demons’ morale. 

“We were upset,” said senior captain Connor Powell. “Because we wanted to get that first game of the year out of the way and knock the rust off before we played battle mountain on Saturday,” 

The game set on Friday of last week has been rescheduled for Wednesday the 10th, but there was still one game to play. 

Saturday, the Demons traveled to John A. Dobson arena in Vail to face off against the Battle Mountain Huskies, the number one ranked team in the 4a mountain league going into this game. 

“The energy was electric. The war cries we were yelling were loud enough to be heard in Alberta.” Powell recalled. 

The game was focused on the two goalies, neither one of them allowing a goal through the first two periods. Sophomore goalie Hunter Oger was playing out of his mind and kept the Demons knotted against the number one team in the league. 

“I was scared out of my mind and couldn’t keep the butterflies out of my stomach. I knew it was a huge game…” Oger said.

Senior Nolan McPherson broke the scoring open in the third period. A face-off win in the Huskies zone went back to defenseman Max Mencimer. A wrist shot from the point was in perfect tip position for McPherson who redirected the puck from the top left down to the bottom right, and the puck snuck past the Huskies goalie to put the Demons up 1-0. Less than a minute later, the Demons fell short-handed as Ross Barlow headed into the box for two minutes. The Huskies only needed about 45 seconds though, as a first shot block by Oger left a juicy rebound sitting there, and a Husky buried it into the back of the net to tie the game once again. 

“We gotta work harder. Lazy playing makes for penalties. I’m guilty of it too and that level of effort is going to be something we work on as a team in practice,” Powell remarked about the bad penalty.

1-1 was the score until about four minutes left in the third when the Demon’s second line took the ice in the Huskies zone and got to work. Traven Hammond found himself with the puck on his stick and a wide-open Ian Holm in front of the net. A textbook one-timer put the Demons back up with 3 left in regulation. 

The Demons went down short-handed once again with less than two minutes in regulation, which prompted a timeout from Battle Mountain. The Huskies pulled their goalie to give them an extra skater; 6-4 for the rest of regulation. The Huskies strategy worked out and the puck found the twine behind Oger with only 20 seconds left in the game to send the game to overtime. 

“I had to do everything I could to stop the puck and keep it from the back of my net,” Oger said.

The five-minute overtime saw no more goals and the clock struck zero with the score still at 2-2. Oger faced 37 shots and deflected 35 of them, earning him a well-deserved player of the game for the Demons. 

“It was a good game and my team played great in front of me. I can’t wait to take them on again on Friday.” The young goalie explained. 

The Demons travel to Steamboat to make up the game that got canceled over the weekend before traveling back to Vail to face off against the Huskies again.

“Double the risk, double the reward,” said the first-year captain, Powell, regarding playing Battle Mountain again. 

You can watch any game live on the Glenwood Demons Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/glenwoodsprings.hockey.3