Best Movies of 2020

Best Movies of 2020

Reporters of GSHSBrimstone, Reporters

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm  By: Jaymin Kanzer

The 2006 classic got a revival this year when Borat 2, or Borat Subsequent Moviefilm, hit our Amazon Prime Video. The mockumentary follows Sacha Baron Cohen, playing Borat Sagdiyev, who is sent to the USA by the Kazakhstan government to relieve them of being the laughing stock of the world. Borat needs to deliver a gift to the Vice President, Mike Pence. But a mix up with his daughter causes a whole lot of hijinx. The dark humor flick has lots of hilarious moments, but also has a sprinkle of heartwarming moments. The movie pokes at lots of sore subjects around the world right now, so it could not be the movie for you. The ending has a surprise twist, and even features Tom Hanks. The cameos don’t stop there, though. From instagram influencers to professional babysitters, to President Trump’s personal lawyer, Rudy Gulliani, the film has it all. The mockumentary even plays around with Guiliani, putting him in a sticky situation. His hands down his pants with a thought to be 15 year old. Gulliani says he was just tucking in his shirt after taking off his microphone, but who knows if that’s really what he was doing. Gulliani took to Twitter to defend himself saying “The Borat video is a complete fabrication. I was tucking in my shirt after taking off the recording equipment. At no time before, during, or after the interview was I ever inappropriate. If Sacha Baron Cohen implies otherwise he is a stone-cold liar.” Cohen responded in typical fashion, as Borat would. “I here to defend America’s mayor Rudolph Giuliani,” Borat said in a video. “What was an innocent sexy-time encounter between a consenting man and my 15-year-old daughter has been turned into something disgusting by fake news media.” If you have a knack for dark humor this is the movie for you. You can watch it on Amazon Prime, and as Borat would say “Very niiiice.”

Devil all the Time By: Morgan Reed

If you’re hoping to see one of the charming, funny, charismatic characters we’ve all come to love from Tom Holland play, The Devil All The Time isn’t for you. However, if you’re interested in seeing the cynical side of an actor who has for some time only played a boy-next-door, if you want to hear Robert Pattinson’s high pitched, drawn-out southern accent, or if you’re interested to see Sebastian Stan without the long hair and metal arm he sported in his role as the Winter Soldier and instead take on the role of a sleazy hometown cop who’s dealings run him into trouble, then The Devil All The Time is just right for you. 

The film follows Arvin Russel, played by Holland, a young boy from Knockemstiff, Ohio, and the many misfortunes that follow him through life. His father, Wallard Russel, played by Bill Skarsgard, who fans may know as Pennywise the Clown, suffers from PTSD during his time serving in World War II. His trauma takes a toll on Arvin, even after he moves out of Knockemstiff. Arvin is forced to endure the worst when it comes to his mother, played by Haley Bennet, his dog Jack, his father, and his adopted sister, Lenora, played by Eliza Scanlen. The choices he makes along the way determine the fate of the many intertwined stories in the film. 

Without spoiling the shocks, tragedies, and plot twists that the film is packed full of, The Devil All The Time is not for someone looking for a happy ending, but it is for the viewer who is interested in how misfortunes at a young age can have a ripple effect on an entire community, and how the way someone faces those misfortunes, determines their own fate as well. 

I gave The Devil All The Time an 4/5 for an amazing cast, and an interesting and intimate look at individuals who aren’t aware how connected their paths are. However, the film was a bit hard to digest given the grotesque, and overall unpleasant life of the main character.

Over the Moon By: Andrew Tran

The movie Over the Moon, directed by John Keane, tells the story of a young girl named Fei Fei. Four years after her mother’s death, her father introduces his family to his fiance, Mrs. Zhong, and her son, Chin. Upset by this, Fei Fei builds a spaceship and goes to the moon to try and bring back her mother. 

In the beginning, the movie resembles a Disney Mulan ripoff. Until you get deeper into the movie where you realize that this movie tells a completely different story. Telling people that they must be able to move on in life to live properly. Although the events of the movie were predictable and foreseen, so is the way of every children’s movie. The movie provides a surprisingly deeper story than expected.

I highly recommend that this movie is to be watched. Not only for the story but, also for the amazing visual art. Overall this movie is pretty solid, providing an interesting story, great voice acting, and a deep theme; it earns an overall ⅘ stars. 

The Boys in The Band By: Willow Walden

The Boys in the Band is a play written by Mart Crowley, an American playwright whose career took off in the late 1960’s. The story revolves around a gathering of gay and bisexual men who convene for a birthday party in New York City, until their celebrations are interrupted by an unexpected guest. The production consists entirely of openly gay actors, which is a huge step forward within an industry that rarely casts queer artists into the spotlight. The play is also set in 1968, the year before the Stonewall Riots- a series of demonstrations orchestrated by members of the LGBTQ+ community in an effort to combat oppression on the basis of race, gender orientation, and sexuality. While the plot of The Boys In The Band may come across as light-hearted and superficial at first glance, it uses a subtle and nuanced lens to confront perpetuated stereotypes within the queer community, as well as the issues of internalized homophobia and compulsive heterosexuality. The movie’s open portrayal of gay life was groundbreaking in the 1960’s, and continues to challenge and enlighten it’s viewers to this day, and because of this, I gave it a 5/5 star rating. 

Love and Monsters By: Kyley Fishman

“Don’t fight, just run and hide,” is a common phrase in the world of Joel Dawson, played by Dylan O’ Brian. Several years after the apocalypse, 95% of humanity has been wiped out, and humans are now at the bottom of the food chain, with giant centipedes, ants, bees, and other mutated creatures at the top. Now, humanity has to live under the ground. While some find love, others choose to become fighters and face the monsters head one. Meanwhile, Dawson is neither a fighter nor a lover, at the beginning. His main skill appears to be making a mean minestrone soup. However, once Dawson reconnects with his high school girlfriend, who lives over 80 miles away, he is determined to see her again, meaning he’ll have to venture out from underground, despite all the dangers in his way. Forced to confront his fears and take off his chef hat, Dawson navigates a new world to find love. After all, love is more powerful than monsters… right? 

Known for his comedic role in MTV’s show, Teen Wolf, and renegade lead character in the blockbuster series, The Maze Runner, O’ Brian’s amazing acting and charisma has not yet failed him, especially in Love and Monsters. Filled with lovable characters, such as Dawson’s dog, affectionally named Dog, and Disney Star actress Ariana Greenblatt playing Minnow, it’s hard not to fall in love with the touchy-feely comedic film. While it may seem predictable and never really gets you to the edge of your seat, the easy banter, nicely-choreographed action, and heart-felt moments will surely keep viewers attuned, as well as send a message: even at the end of the world, there’s something worth living for. 

I give Love and Monsters 4/5. It not only has an enjoyable cast and witty commentary, but it also provides just enough fights with monsters, as well as interesting CGI monsters, to keep you entertained. Even though it feels like we’re going through our own apocalypse right now, this movie helps to remind us that it could be a lot worse. 

The King of Staten Island By: Willow Walden

The King of Staten Island is a semi-autobiographical comedy that follows the life of Pete Davidson- actor, comedian, and cast member of Saturday Night Live. The narrative recounts the early life of Davidson’s character, Scott, in Staten Island, NY, following his father’s death as a firefighter on active duty. Since the incident, Scott has been a case of arrested development- spending his days smoking weed, living with his mother, and distancing himself from his grief with one-liners and self-deprecating humor. He’s now reached his mid-20s, his only future prospects being a far-fetched dream of becoming a tattoo artist. That is, until conflict arises when his mother takes interest in a loudmouth firefighter within striking resemblance to her late husband, and the trajectory of Scott’s life changes course. This movie walks the line between comedy and tragedy, as well as the contradiction between expectation and the reality of life. Similar to works such as Bojack Horseman and 50/50, Davidson’s narrative utilizes light-hearted humor to confront much heavier topics, and reflects on the absurdity of out every-day experience, and for that I gave it a 4/5 stars.

Enola Holmes By: Chloe Glock

Enola Holmes is a Netflix original movie complete with a star studded cast of Millie Bobby Brown, Louis Partridge, Sam Claflin, Henry Cavill, and Helena Bonham Carter. This movie was released in the United States on September 23 of this year. It is based on the book series “An Enola Holmes Mystery,” by Nancy Springer. This movie tells the story of Sherlock Holmes’ little sister, Enola. Enola is an intelligent, powerful, and independent young woman. The story begins on her 16th birthday when her mother goes missing. The movie shows Enola trying to find her mother, she has some changes along the way. Enola helps equality happen in her world. I would recommend this movie not only for the storyline and plot but for how they show a young woman fighting for change. The cast and the image of a powerful young woman taking center stage earned this movie a 5/5 stars. 

Onward By: Clara Feeney 

The movie Onward is an eye -catching family movie by Pixar about magic and what the lanky main character Ian would do to spend just one more day with his dad. Through a misshapen magical spell, two brothers have to work together throughout the movie trying to make their father more than a pair of khaki pants and funky socks. The film is a funny, heartwarming family movie that inspires a new light to not take what you have for granted with your loved ones, brothers and parents included. 

In typical Pixar fashion, the deceased parent is a huge talking point at the beginning of the book with the two brothers Ian and Barley for Ian’s 16th birthday. Through the obviously anxious ridden and nervous teen, the chance to speak to his late father is one that is greatly accepted. The movie touches on the point of secret magic with a slight coming of age vibe where on his birthday, Ian inherits a magic staff and a few words to bring his dad back to life, but only once and only for 24 hours. Though with a miscalculation on the brothers part, their spell isn’t completed as it should have been. It’s a comedic movie of brothers and family with a side quest for the lovable mother character as well. Onward is of laughter, challenges, and magic, with a teary eyed ending that is enough to warm the hearts of even the grinch at the end of this year, and for those reasons I gave it a 5/5 stars.