Lost Celebrities of 2020

GSHSBrimstone Reporters, Reporters

RBG By: Leyna McGill 

Even though 2020 has been very eventful, the notorious RBG’s death has devastated many American citizens. 

Ruth Bader Ginsburg was a Supreme Court Justice as well as an extremely well known feminist idol. She was the second woman to ever be a justice for the United States Supreme Court, she served for 27 years. She primarily fought for women’s rights and gender equality. 

She went to Cornell University where she met her husband, Martin Ginsburg, who would later become a lawyer. They attended Harvard Law together and Ginsburg was one of the nine women out of the 500 students in her class. When her husband got sick with testicular cancer, she did the work for both of them. Even though she was at the top of her class, no law firm wanted to hire a woman. In 1963, four years after she graduated from Columbia, she got a teaching job at Rutgers Law School. 

The first case and battle with equality Ginsberg had was a man from Colorado who was battling the law with a tax deduction for taking care of his elderly mother. She won the case by asking the court to apply the law to both genders. After building a hefty reputation, she was invited to the White House to meet President Bill Clinton who later on nominated her. The Senate confirmed her with a 96-3 vote. 

She fought hard for equal rights and gender equality even as she battled cancer. She had colon cancer in 1999, pancreatic cancer in 2009, lung cancer in 2018, and pancreatic cancer again. She ended up losing her biggest support system, Martin Ginsburg, in 2010. He was adamant that she was fully capable of doing her job even at her lowest points.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg continued her combat with cancer and equality until 2020 where she had complications from metastatic pancreatic cancer and liver lesions. She passed away on September 18, 2020, at 87 years old.

To read more about RGB, click here

John Lewis By: Morgan Reed

John Lewis served as a United States Representative for Georgia’s 5th Congressional District from 1987 until his death in 2020. He was born in Alabama on February 21, 1940 and died on July 17, 2020, after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2019. He was one of the “Big Six” civil rights leaders along with Martin Luther King Jr, James Farmer, Philip Randolph, Roy Wilkins, and Whitney Young. 

Lewis (far right) walks alongside Jesse Douglas, 

Martin Luther King Jr, James Forman and Ralph Abernathy from 

Selma to Montgomery on a 54 mile march for voting rights in 1965.

He was a freedom rider, and was the youngest speaker at the 1963 march on Washington, where he famously declared, “We all recognize the fact that if any radical social, political and economic changes are to take place in our society, the people, the masses, must bring them about.” 

Lewis and fellow civil rights leader and ordained ministers, Hosea Williams, led a march from Selma to Montogomery, where he famously crossed the Edmund Pettus Bridge. There, the marchers were attacked by state troops in a tragedy that became known as “Bloody Sunday,” Lewis was severely beaten multiple times and suffered a fractured skull. 

While in office, he most notably oversaw multiple renewals of the Voting Rights act, worked for healthcare reform, and fought to end poverty and improve education. 

To read more about John Lewis, click here

Kobe & Gianna Bryant By: Quinn Taucher

Losing Kobe Bryant age 41, and his daughter, Gianna (Gigi) Bryant, age 13, has had a major impact on basketball fanatics everywhere. On January 26, 2020 on the way to a youth basketball event, the helicopter Bryan and his daughter were in, crashed in Calabasas, 

California. The cause of the crash is thought to be weather conditions. 

Kobe was a NBA player for the Los Angeles Lakers for 20 years and has won 5 championships. Both Bryant and his daughter had a burning passion for basketball and Gigi, the Bryant’s second oldest daughter, was thought to be the one to continue the legacy. Her dream was to be in the WNBA. 

After their death the NBA honored the two players by sharing a moment of silence for them and the Lakers wore Bryant’s jersey during the national championship in honor of him.  

To read more about Kobe and Gigi, click here

Chadwick Boseman By: Gracie Westphal

Among other losses we’ve experienced this year, Chadwick Boseman, a beloved 43-year-old American actor, died on August 28 after a battle with colon cancer.

Boseman was born on November 29, 1976 in Anderson, South Carolina. After attending the University of Washington D.C. and the British American Drama Academy in Oxford, he started his career by playing in multiple stage productions, including Romeo and Juliet and Breathe. He also wrote and directed plays and stage productions.

Boseman was most well known for his role as T’Challa, or “Black Panther”, in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, for which he acted in four productions. He also played important roles in many other movies, such as Jackie Robinson in 42, Floyd Little in The Express, Graham Mcnair in Persons Unknown, and many more, and had guest appearances in the soap opera, All My Children.

Boseman was diagnosed with colon cancer in the year 2016, which he kept a secret from the public. This means he played countless roles during his struggle and treatment for the disease. For this reason, The Atlantic deemed him a hero. Boseman will go down in history as a hardworking, passionate, and tenacious actor. He left behind a loving family and thousands of grieving fans. He married his long-time girlfriend, Taylor Simone Ledward, just months before his death. Chadwick died in his home surrounded by his wife and family.

Read more about Chadwick Boseman here 

Eddie Van Halen By: Chloe Glock

On October 6, Eddie Van Halen died in Santa Monica, California at the age of sixty five. Van Halen was born on January 26, 1955 in Amsterdam, Netherlands. Van Halen was diagnosed with tongue cancer in 2000, which later spread to his throat and lung,  he was undergoing treatment at the time of his death in 2020. Van Halen was the lead-guitarist in his namesake band,  Van Halen. The band was founded in 1972, in Pasadena, California. There are a total of 131 Van Halen songs. In 2007 the band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and in 2015 Rolling Stone Magazine named Eddie Van Halen number eight on the list of hundred greatest guitarists. There is no doubt that the world lost one of the best musical talents of all time. 

To read more about Eddie Van Halen, click here

Alma Awards 2012
http://www.hispaniclifestyle.com (Richard Sandoval)

Naya Rivera By: Edith Gonzalez 

Naya Rivera was an American actress, singer, and model. Rivera began her career as a child actress and model, appearing in commercials broadcasted on national television. She was born on January 12th, 1987 and died on July 8th, 2020. She has been in at least seven movies and in six tv shows, and is most known for her role as Santana Lopez in the popular drama Glee, which won Golden Globe Award for Best Television Series – Musical or Comedy in 2010 and 2011.

Rivera accidentally drowned while boating with her 4 year old son. Her son was found asleep on the rental pontoon boat after it was overdue for return. It is believed that she drowned after helping her son back into the boat. It was revealed that she had previous health problems with vertigo, which could have contributed to her drowning. 

One fan said, “That was very heroico of her to save her child for her own life, it’s a very sad story but many will remember her as a hero and loving mother.”

To read more about Naya Rivera, click here

Grant Imahara By: Morgan Reed

“When I was a kid, I never wanted to be James Bond, I wanted to be Q, because he was the guy who made all the gadgets,” said Grant Imahara in an interview with Machine Design

Imahara was an electrical engineer and roboticist, and host of the popular shows MythBusters and Neflix’s White Rabbit Project. He was born October 23 1970 in Los Angeles, California, where he died suddenly following a brain aneurysm July 13, 2020. During his time hosting MythBusters he built hundreds of gadgets to simulate myths to hopefully “bust.” After the show ended in 2014, he rejoined his co hosts, Kari Bryon and Tory Belleci for Netflix’s White Rabbit Project investigating mysterious events from pop culture, history, and science. He was also an essential part to the finishing of Star Wars’ R2-D2 for Episode I: The Phantom Menace and Episode II: Attack Of The Clones. His work can also be found in such films as Jurassic Park: The Lost World, Terminator 3: Rise of The Machines, The Matrix Reloaded, and The Matrix Revolutions and many more. He also starred in several episodes of the fan-made web series Star trek Continues as Hikaru Sulu. 

To read more about Grant Imahara, click here

Kirk Douglas By: Clara Feeney

One of the last stars of the golden age in Hollywood, Kirk Douglas, died at age 103. 

Kirk Douglas was born on December 9th, 1916. He and his six sisters came from a family of immigrants. Douglas published his best selling autobiography, “The Ragman’s Son” in 1988. Douglas then went on to join the US Navy for World War II before he was honorably discharged in 1944. He then moved on into writing, producing, acting, directing, and philanthropy.

His first big role was in the movie The Strange Love of Martha Ivers with Barbra Stanwyck. This launched his acting career miles. He then went on to be in over 90 movies and won an Oscar for his role in the Broadway play One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, which his son who moved to turn it into the famous classic movie. Kirk Douglas moved forward through his notable roles in movies such as Champion, Seven Days In May, and Town Without Pity. The diversity of the characters he plays in each exhibited his explosive acting style and characterization. Eventually, he was awarded an Academy Honorary Award in 1996. 

Douglas, who is number 17 on the American Film Institute’s list of “Greatest Male Screen Legends Of Classic Hollywood Cinema,” passed away at the age of 103 on February 5th, 2020 from natural causes in his home with his wife of 66 years, Anne Buydens. 

To read more about Kirk Douglas, click here

Alex Trebek:  By Johnathan Webster

This legendary game show host, who lost his battle with pancreatic cancer earlier this year and will be impossible to replace, Who is Alex Trebek?

For over 35 years, Alex Trebek brought happiness to the homes of millions of people. With more than 8,200 episodes and 196,800 of dedicated time, Trebek has worked tirelessly longer than any show host has before. Trebek is a native canadian, born in Sudbury Ontario, growing up in a French-English bilingual family. He attended The University of Ottawa, and majored in Philosophy.

Throughout Trebek’s broadcasting career, He has hosted over 9 different game shows, with his main focus being Jeopardy! Trebek has stayed with Jeopardy for 37 seasons, from its revival in 1984 to his demise in 2020. In 1990, Trebek Married his second wife, Jean Currivan, and had two children, Matthew and Emily. In 96, He ran the olympic torch in JacksonVille, FL, and in 01, He shaved off his mustache of 30 years, as an april fools prank. Trebek also owned a 700-acre ranch, where he bred and trained thoroughbred racehorses. Trebek has worked tirelessly his whole life. And has brought a smile to all of our faces at one point or another. He will be remembered for his humor, valiant effort, and commitment to his current goal. 

To read more about Alex Trebeck, click here