Community Impacted by Senior’s Capstone Project

Courtesy+of+the+Adams+Family++

Courtesy of the Adams Family

Addison Luetke, Reporter

While most GSHS students were grumbling and complaining about the famous Capstone project, AJ Adams was creating a masterpiece.

For his Capstone, Adams created a documentary called, “Connections, A Deeper Meaning of Cancer.” The film is about cancer patients and their caregivers, and the journeys and connections they made through cancer. His goal for the documentary was to provGlee that cancer doesn’t define us but it does help people discover who they really are.

“Though I have not personally been diagnosed with cancer, it has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember,” said Adams, “I want to redefine people’s perceptions of cancer through my film.”

When he was 14 years old, and only a freshman in high school, his mom told him that she had cancer, and his whole world turned upside down. However, he learned so much through his experience of being a caretaker for a cancer patient. This is when he had a vision of a documentary that recognizes life lessons through experiences and personal connections and shows the deeper meaning of cancer. Adams started his Capstone during his sophomore year, which is a year earlier than most students.

He connected with the people whom he now calls his tribe of super-heroes, and they all shared their stories for the documentary. He knew some of the patients through basketball, but others he connected with through social media and word of mouth.

“My favorite part has been meeting and being able to sit down and really converse and connect with everyone in my documentary.” said Adams. “I hope that my film reaches thousands of cancer patients because I think it is one of the few films that talks about the positives cancer has on an individual.”

The most difficult part of the filmmaking process for Adams was the emotional side of the relationships that he made. He claims he had no idea what he was getting into when one of the patients in his film that he was quite close with passed away.

“I had to learn how to move on from her passing and continue the documentary,” he said.

Overall, Adams is very happy with how his Capstone turned out and he hopes that it touches the hearts of many people around the nation and changes their views of cancer. If you haven’t gotten the opportunity to watch AJ Adams’ documentary or you want to learn more about his process, you can go to his website to view it all.