You Won’t Like Her When She’s Angry: I Am Not Okay With This Review

Kyley Fishman and James Howell, Head Editor/Chief, Reporter

Finally a show that highlights the complexities of being a teenager, from dealing with family issues, to falling in love with your best friend, to finding out that you have superpowers. 

Wait, what? 

I Am Not Okay With This is the newest Netflix original series starring Sophia Lillis and Wyatt Oleff, who co-starred together in the 2017 hit horror movie It, as well as introducing actors Sofia Bryant and Richard Ellis. 

Based upon the graphic novel “I Am Not Okay With This” by Charles Forsha, the story follows a grieving teenage girl, Sydney Novak (Sophia Lillis), who is still saddened over the death of her father. The viewers are introduced to her life as she maneuvers through high school while dealing with her confounding sexuality, her complex relationship with her mother, the development of a new friendship with Stanley Barber (Wyatt Oleff), and her unrestrained, evolving superpowers. As well as her best friend Dina (Sofia Bryant) gaining Brad Lewis (Richard Ellis) , the most popular guy at school, as her boyfriend, Sydney’s teenage years aren’t exactly a walk in the park. 

The show is directed by Jonathan Entwistle, who previously directed the hit show The End of the F***ing World, and is produced by the creators of Stranger Things, Dan Cohen and Rand Geiger. The boding plot perfectly blends the two shows to create a witty, relatable, and angsty series that is never mundane. The show is actually set during the time of The End of the F***ing World, which makes a few subtle cameos in some of the episodes.

Not only does the show blend themes from both Stranger Things and The End of the F***ing World, but it also has many references to 70/80s movies such as The Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles, as well as a supposed accidental reference to Carrie, when Sydney is covered in blood at the school dance in the end of the season. The nostalgic piece of work not only attracts teens, but also attracts adults who grew up with these classics. 

The season itself ends abruptly, as mentioned, with Sydney covered in blood for… reasons (no spoilers!). Not only does this leave the viewer wanting more, but it also leaves us thinking “what the heck?” Despite most of the episodes focusing mostly on the growth of her rage-related powers, as well as her budding romance(s), the PG-13 ending will definitely leave you not only on the edge of your seat, but also slightly nauseous. Leave that popcorn bucket empty of actual popcorn, because you might just need it for other purposes. 

I Am Not Okay With This seems to be open for a second season, due to the cliffhanger at the end being more than obvious. Thankfully, the viewers will again be able to enjoy the all the deeper meanings that it conveys without it actually having to say a lot of words: the struggles of sexuality, death of a parent, poverty, grief, disillusionment, and of course, the growth of superpowers.