Lady Demons End Basketball Season with Strong Successors

Addison Luetke, Reporter

An incredible regular season under their belt, with a 20-3 record, the Lady Demons lost out against Erie in the second round of the 4A state playoffs.

On Tuesday, March 3rd, our No.12 ranked girls traveled to Erie Colorado to take on the No.5 Erie Tigers at 6pm. The Tigers came to a 86-54 Sweet 16 win, defeating the Demons after their 15 game winning streak. 

It was a tough loss for the ladies, but they had an amazing season and their overall goal was to make it to the Sweet 16. They were the Western Slope 4A champions for the first time in six years, as they were undefeated in league play. 

The game again had a pretty slow start for the Demons. They ended the first quarter down 30-9. At half the Demons were losing 55-23, they were able to outscore the Tigers in both the third and fourth quarters, but it wasn’t enough to bring home a win. 

Senior Natalya Taylor, once again led the team, scoring 13 points in the game. Close behind was senior Michelle Marshal with 10 points.

“Looking back on this season, is sad to believe that it is over.” said Marshall. “I am so honored to be a part of the team that worked hard and made it so far.”

Marshall is one of the six seniors on the team and this was their last game of the final season at GSHS. Other Seniors include Taylor, Marshall, Qwynn Massie, Hadley Yellico, Kate Shannahan, and Zeva Carruth. The ladies are bummed to be done on the court, but they are really proud of their hard fought, amazing season. 

“There were ups and downs,” Marshall said, “but I don’t think I would change a thing because this season really sparked my passion for basketball and was a great way to end my career.”

Although the team is losing all of this year’s seniors, they have a strong set of juniors and a few sophomores who are ready to dominate again next season.