Major Round One Victory Leads to Second Round Battle

How Will the Demons Fair Against the Wolverines After a Major Win Against the Rebels?

Jaymin Kanzer, Reporter/Sports Editor

The first round of the playoffs for the Glenwood Springs Demons varsity hockey team has come and gone, now they prepare for the second round against the Chaparral Wolverines. 

In the first round of the playoffs, the Demons faced off against the Columbine Rebels in a ‘home’ game. The game was played in Eagle due to rules set in place by CHSSA that state that the first round of the playoffs has to be held in a neutral rink. The game was ridiculously scheduled for a 1:30 puck drop time, but if you weren’t able to make it, you didn’t miss much. The Demons pounced from the drop of the puck and never let go of their lead. 

The Demons started off hot with the help of senior Dylan Webster, who scored only six minutes into the game with an assist from junior Nolan Mcpherson. 

“I couldn’t have done it alone, and my teammates set me up left and right in great scoring chances, so they deserve the credit,” Webster said. 

After the Demons took a penalty, the Rebels were able to put one past senior goalie Hunter Hadsock. Webster responded with 5:44 left in the first period on a pass from junior Max Mencimer. Junior Colter Strautman extended their lead by two late in the third with an assist from senior Ryan Kotz. 

From there Webster stole the show putting one in during the second period, causing the fans of the Demons to throw their hats in honor Webster’s hat trick. He wasn’t done there though, scoring two more in the third to cap a five goal night. 

“I’ve struggled producing points for our team this year, so nothing is better than getting some big goals for the boys in the playoffs,” added Webster. “That’s the first time that I’ve scored a hat trick in high school hockey, and it’s safe to say I was pretty excited.”

The Demons will now travel to Centennial to face-off against the Chaparral Wolverines this Friday. The Demons took the ice against the Wolverines once this season on January 24th, ending the game in a tie. Most of the credit for which goes to the Demons goalie, Hunter Hadsock. Hadsock faced 56 shots during the game and saved 53 of them. The Demons and the Wolverines battled hard but neither team was able to get the upper hand and the game ended knotted at threes after the five minute overtime. The Wolverines ended the season at 6-2-2 in league play, and 14-2-3 overall. The Demons are going to have to battle hard if they want to advance to the next round.