Lady Demons Fight the Elements and Come Out Victorious

Taken from Molly Hancock

Paige Flentge, Reporter

The Glenwood Springs Lady Demons Swim Team dominated the competition this season with four wins and one 3rd-place finish in the 3a/4a Western Slope League. With 37 students in the competitive roster, eight girls competed at the 3A State Tournament last weekend.

As a team, the Demons brought home sixth place among various 3A Colorado schools. Diver Abby Scruton led the way with a third-place medal 444.2 points, while teammates Libby Clauson and Juliet McGill also placed in the top ten.

“This year’s been really good for us, it’s been fantastic considering that we lost a lot of girls,” senior Molly Hancock said. “Last year we had like forty-something, and this year we’ve got something like 26. As a team we’re doing really well, we’ve only lost two games this season and won almost every single meet.” 

Glenwood swimmers Amy Madsen, Kylee Smith, Sally McDonnell, and Haley Diemar also placed in the top ten, with a 400 freestyle relay, and the 100 and 200-meter freestyle races respectively. 

Despite going to state six years in a row, many girls on the swim team still find the lack of recognition they receive from their community and school a little disappointing. 

Many student-athletes agree that the Glenwood Ladies swim team is amazing and believe that they deserve a lot more recognition than they get. The Lady Demons do have a reason to speak up, with their track record of regional wins and league placements. This year, Glenwood´s girls are ranked second in their league, with six out of nine wins through their season, and a sixth at state. Since the team started in 2011, the team has sent swimmers to state each year, many coming back with awards and top-ten placements. 

“Their consistency comes from our coaches,” Athletic Director Craig Denney said. “They have committed their time and energy to create a program that is centered on the student-athlete and the girls who do the same.” 

Thank you coaches for your time and dedication to our team and girls. Great job ladies, keep up the good work and thank you for representing our school.