Girl’s Basketball League Title

Girl's Basketball League Title

Addison Luetke, Reporter

After an incredible regular season, going undefeated in league play, the Lady Demons are the 4A Western Slope Conference champions for the first time in six years.

On Wednesday of last week, the ladies defended the Rifle Bears at home, winning their rivalry game with a score of 37-31. On Thursday they took down Eagle Valley also on their home court 39-29.

“It’s honestly amazing to see the team succeed after we put so much work into this season!” said senior Kate Shanahan. Shanahan is very happy with the year so far and is excited to see how far the team will make it into the playoffs for her final season. 

Over the weekend both the boys and girls traveled to Steamboat Springs to take on the Sailors. The ladies defeated the Sailors 46-32 for the league title. 

“Winning league has really set us up for our big initial goal of going past the second round in the state tournament!” said sophomore Kenzie Winder. “I’m super proud of my team and just to be a part of it all.”

On Tuesday, the Demons came back home and after an extended weekend, beat the Battle Mountain Bulldogs 53-27, leaving their league record at 11-0 and their overall record 19-3 with one more league game to go. 

This Friday is Senior Night at home in the Chavez-Spencer gym. The girls play at 6pm against the Palisade Bulldogs. For the six seniors on the team, this will likely be their last home game. 

“Beating palisade would mean we’re the first team to go undefeated in league since Coach Jordan [Decrow] was in high school,” Winder said, “it would be amazing!”

Be there to support the Lady Demons for their undefeated league season!