JROTC News Update

Sadie Bruner, Reporter

Air Force Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps, otherwise known as AFJROTC is an elective at Glenwood Springs High School. This amazing program is open to those who are interested in aviation and the military. Run by Air Force veterans, AFJROTC is a great way for people to envelope themselves in our community even if they are not interested in joining the military. Meeting every other day, they learn about aviation, ranks in the military, and — AFJROTC being a P.E. credit — do lots of physical training.

This month, they are conducting a food drive which will be hosted by various locations around the Roaring Fork Valley. They plan to collect food on Saturday February 1st and Saturday February 8th from 9:00am to 2:00pm. The food that they collect will be donated to the Salvation Army for people in need.

Recently, AFJROTC held their annual Dining In/ Lock In at GSHS. This took place on December 19th, and included dinner along with an awards ceremony for cadets who have earned ribbons this past semester. After this, they went to the methodist church and spent the night playing games and all around having a great time. On January 24-25, they spent the night in Grand Junction where they visited General Nunemann’s hanger at the Grand Junction airport. They also went to the Western Slope Vietnam Memorial in Fruta.

If you want to buy GSHS apparel, click on the link below.

Come back for more monthly updates on our AFJROTC.