Glenwood’s Win Comes in the Form of a Rink

Jaymin Kanzer, Sports Editor

Years of protest came to an end last year, as the Glenwood Springs Demons took to the ice and finally got a hockey team.

For the first time, the Demons are able to play on their home turf. Although the rink may be lackluster, skill is one thing the Demons aren’t lacking. The varsity hockey team has come out of the gates strong, winning four of the last five games they have played.

The Demons started the season slowly, losing the opening game of the ‘19-‘20 season, against the Summit Tigers. The Demons battled hard, but Summit was able to put the puck past freshman goalie Hunter Ogre as the buzzer buzzed to finish the match with a score of 3-2. Fortunately, the Demons turned it around winning the next three games, one against Woodland Park, and two against Standley Lake.

But that switched up when they played their division rivals, the Aspen Skiers. Aspen went up early, 2-1 after the first period, and the Demons couldn’t make it all the way back. Senior’s Ryan Kotz and Cole Houston scored one apiece, and junior Colter Strautman put one away. It wasn’t enough though, as the Demons were down 4-3 at the final buzzer. The Demons have been rolling through opponents since that loss, winning three straight with no signs of slowing down.

Junior Colter Strautman, is leading the Demons to most of their wins, as well as the team in goals. In eight games, Strautman has 11 goals and five assists.
“It has been a great season so far, but none of this would have been possible without the help of my linemates Ryan Kotz and Sean Mooney,” Strautman stated, “as well as our strong defense and our amazing coaches.”

The Demons have had a very strong start to this season, but have a difficult schedule ahead of them going down the home stretch.

“We’re really going to have to dig deep and find out who we really are as a team if we want to make it to the next round,” Strautman said.

After the inaugural season, the Demons were finally allowed to play this season at the Glenwood Springs ice rink, which has been a huge confidence booster for the team. Last year, the hockey they played at the Eagle Ice Rink.

“Our team really builds off of the energy of the crowd and it is amazing to see how our classmates, as well as the locals, come out to support the team,” Strautman explained.

Although the Demons have good support from the juniors and sophomores from the team, the Demons will lose a lot of key players at the end of this season. Four of the five top scorers on the team are going to be moving on at the end of the season.

“Our seniors are very talented and it is going to be very tough to lose them at the end of the season, so our sophomores and juniors are really going to have to step up into their roles and fill that void next season,” said Strautman.

The Demons have a tough game ahead of them this Friday night. They are playing Chaparral High School, a school notorious for its skilled hockey team. The Wolverines are in the 5a division for hockey and are nearly undefeated this season. The Wolverines are ranked 6th out of 37 teams in their division, and third in their league. The Demons are going to have to bring their A-game this Friday to beat Chaparral. This game is being played at the Glenwood Springs ice rink, make sure to come out and support your Demons.