Jenny Henry Brings Glenwood to All State Choir Solo

Back to Article
Back to Article

Taken by Addison Luetke

Taken by Addison Luetke

Taken by Addison Luetke

Taken by Addison Luetke

Addison Luetke, Reporter

Of the many students that auditioned for Colorado All State Choir, Jenny Henry was the only person from GSHS to qualify.

In order to audition, the students had to prepare an art song, which is a song different from modern or musical theater pieces. They work on those songs for a few months before they travel to Grand Junction together and all of the students auditioning spend a day there performing their songs in front of judges, as well as practicing cite reading and singing on several different scales.

All State choir is an event where the best high school singers in the state get to go to the convention center in Denver and rehearse several different songs with the choir group for a few days. At the end of the weekend all three choirs, Men’s, Women’s, and Mixed, perform at the Bellco theater for the public.

“I was super happy and surprised when I found out I got in,” said Henry, “I had no expectations of qualifying because as a junior it is much harder to get in and I didn’t feel too confident on the technical aspects of the audition, which is what the judges focus on most.”

Henry has been involved in the arts from a very young age. She has always loved to sing, and has been a key member in her school choir group for as long as she can remember. Henry is also a beautiful dancer, she previously danced at the Glenwood Springs Center for the Arts and now dances for Colorado Mountain College and Youthzone. She has been a part of the GSHS drama department since her freshman year and will play the lead role of Ariel Moore in this years spring musical, Footloose.

“I have really loved learning new things about music through my middle/highschool careers with Mrs. Gruber.” Henry said.

Henry’s favorite part about choir is getting to work with others to create something beautiful. She enjoys practicing her cite reading and putting all of the harmonies together and making everyone sound good as a whole choir. Her favorite genre of music to sing is Gospel because the songs are really powerful, and upbeat, and fun.

“I also really enjoy songs in different languages like Latin and Russian because they are very rewarding and difficult to learn,” said Henry, “but once you get it down it sounds super epic and is really fun.”

Jenny Henry will be rehearsing in Denver with the rest of the All State Choir participants from around the state, from February 20-22. They will have their final concert at the Bellco theater on Saturday, February 22, at 4pm. Stay tuned!