Student Athlete: Ella Johnson

Taken+by+Bobby+Reyes+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Student Athlete: Ella Johnson

Taken by Bobby Reyes

Taken by Bobby Reyes

Taken by Bobby Reyes

Taken by Bobby Reyes

Addison Luetke, Reporter

As most students know, Ella Johnson is a stand out sophomore athlete in soccer, basketball, and running.

Ella has made many outstanding athletic accomplishments within her first two years at Glenwood Springs High School. This past fall Cross Country season, Johnson won first place in the Liberty Bell Invitational at Heritage High School and one other meet during the season. After qualifying for state later in the season, Johnson finished 5th place

“This was a huge improvement from last year where I finished 16th at regionals,” said Johnson, “which is one spot away from qualifying for state.”

At State, Johnson ran a new personal record of 17:38, 13 seconds faster than her previous record for the 5K. This season she also got an honorable mention for the Western Slope League All-Conference.

Johnson really enjoys the competitive nerves and excitement that everyone has at all the meets. She has been running since Girls on The Run in elementary school. She hopes to either run or play soccer in college and hopefully eventually she will get the opportunity to run half and full marathons as well as some ultras (races longer than a marathon).

“My parents used to be runners and my mom does triathlons,” she said, “so I kind of followed in their footsteps.”

As a freshman, Johnson had a really successful soccer season. She was the only freshman on varsity, and scored 10 goals, making her the second highest scorer on the team. She also received recognition for 1st Team All Conference. Johnson is super excited to get back out on the field for high school soccer in the spring. She is also looking forward to her upcoming seasons in Basketball and Track.

“It’s hard for me to pick a favorite,” she said, “but Soccer and Cross Country are definitely the top two.”

With all of the sports that she participates in, Johnson has little time for other activities, however she loves to ski and be outdoors with her family. She is also a very good student in school, her favorite subjects being math and physical sciences, like Chemistry.

What is your favorite movie?
Talladega Nights
If you had a superpower, what would it be?
Teleportation
Who would play you in a movie?
Dove Cameron, like Maddie in Liv & Maddie