2019 Football Recap

Photo+Taken+by+Johnathan+Webster+
Back to Article
Back to Article

2019 Football Recap

Photo Taken by Johnathan Webster

Photo Taken by Johnathan Webster

Photo Taken by Johnathan Webster

Photo Taken by Johnathan Webster

Jaymin Kanzer, Reporter

After a season riddled with injuries and backups, the Glenwood Springs Demons varsity football team made something out of nothing and finished second in their division.

At the start of the season, senior Dylan Albright was named starting quarterback, but that was soon changed to sophomore Evan Heyl after the first game. Heyl took over when the 3rd ranked Harrison Tigers came to town. Although the Demons lost, Heyl put up 13 points on their top-ranked defense and threw for over 100 yards.

“I thought I would get a couple of second halves if the game was lopsided, but we had a few unfortunate events that played into my favor and as coach always says, ‘next man up’,” Heyl said.

“Losing 6 games to teams that all ended up in the playoffs isn’t ideal, but it’s not something we should hang our heads over,” Heyl continued. “We have a lot to look forward to next year and I’m very excited.” The Demons had a very tough schedule this year, battling 3 of the top 10 teams in the 3A class.

The Demons were plagued with injuries all season. Heyl battled a torn MCL suffered during baseball season, then tore his Meniscus during a matchup with rival Palisade Bulldogs. Senior JP Simpson endured a broken wrist during the Lacrosse season and was playing with a cast all season. Senior fullback, Elliot Walz, suffered the same injury as Simpson in the senior night game against Battle Mountain. Heyl got yet another injury, playing against the Summit Tigers, tearing a muscle in his abdomen and couldn’t play the rest of the game, as well as missed the last game against Steamboat.

Seniors Dylan Albright, Patrick Young, Sam Fitzwilliams, JP Simpson, Elliot Walz, Tucker Porter, Thor Melby, Kelton Mcpherson, Spencer Cloud, and Rowen Kennedy are all moving on, which will leave significant holes throughout the Demons roster, which means players from the bench, and the JV roster will need to step up next season.

The Demons finished the season with a 4-6 record and 4-1 in league play. They ended up second in the western slope division and 24th in the 3A league.