Injuries Hurt Glenwood Springs Demons

Back to Article
Back to Article

Injuries Hurt Glenwood Springs Demons

Jaymin Kanzer, Reporter

Although the Glenwood Springs Demons varsity football team was playing without many key players, the Demons were able to pull out a victory against the Summit Tigers last Friday.

The Demons went into the game missing senior Dylan Albright, out with a torn MCL, and senior Elliot Walz, due to a wrist injury. Surprisingly, the injuries didn’t stop there. Senior Tucker Porter and sophomore Evan Heyl both were taken out of the game due to injuries. Due to the hurt quarterback, the Demons kept the ball on the ground, throwing only once, as the ball fell incomplete. The Demons dominated on the ground, running for over 450 yards and 5 touchdowns. Junior running back Garret Dollahan dominated, rushing for over 150 yards and scored four touchdowns. Dollahan started the game with two quick touchdowns and converted both two-point conversions, pushing the Demons up 16-0 early in the game. Summit battled back, scoring with 29 seconds left in the half to tie the game at 16 a piece going into the locker rooms. The score stayed the same until the end of the third quarter, with sophomore Blake Nieslanik breaking free for a 15-yard touchdown run, but was stopped while trying to convert the 6 into 8 points. The Tigers answered immediately though, just 41 seconds later on a 72-yard pass, the Tigers got their first lead of the night, thanks to an extra point by Tigers kicker Jaden Smith. Dollahan answered once again, breaking free for a 55-yard rushing touchdown. Walz converted and put the Demons up 30-22. The Demons found themselves with the ball right after that, thanks to a muffed kick return by the Tigers. The Demons capitalized giving the ball once again to Dollahan who walked it in for the 7-yard rush. The Tigers wouldn’t quit, scoring in less than a minute once again, but the Demons were able to run out the clock to end the game at 36-30.

The Demons moved up to the 21st spot in the RPI rankings, but need to get to the 16th rank to make the playoffs. They would need to jump 5 spots in the rankings in their last game of the season.

The Demons travel to Steamboat this Friday to take on the Sailors to close out the season. The game will be broadcasted on 99.1 on FM radio and on its website.