A New S.T.E.M Has Begun to Grow at GSHS

Back to Article
Back to Article

A New S.T.E.M Has Begun to Grow at GSHS

Addison Luetke, Reporter

New school year, new club, founded by two students at Glenwood Springs High School.

Seniors, Patrick Young and Jacob Fowler, decided that this year was the year for them to start up S.T.E.M. Club, which stands for Science Technology Engineering Mathematics. Young and Fowler are both very involved in the school community and noticed that there wasn’t an extracurricular that was mathematics based, which they thought was a necessity at GSHS.

“We decided to start S.T.E.M. Club in order to introduce the GSHS community, as well as the overall community of Glenwood to S.T.E.M.,” said Young. “A big motivation for us was an Engineering camp we attended in elementary school.”

S.T.E.M. is a collaborative club for students who are interested in the world of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. During the majority of the meetings, guest speakers come in and talk about their professions, what drew them to it and what their jobs entail day to day.

“We are also hoping to put together a free or low-cost, summer S.T.E.M. camp for 4th-7th graders,” Fowler said. “We will have professionals come in and do presentations and set up activities that engage the curiosity of these young minds, and gets them thinking more about S.T.E.M.”

Their goal this year is to get S.T.E.M. club up and running with rules/procedures published so that there is guidance for the years in the future as this is their last year at GSHS.

“We want to provide an opportunity for people to learn about the field of S.T.E.M. in a low pressure, and fun enviroment,” Young said. “Jacob and I are hoping to get as much involvement and excitement as possible before we graduate.”

The club is always looking for more students to join them in discussing about the world of S.T.E.M. Their meetings are on red Mondays, during lunch in Mrs. Hartmann’s room (1701). If you are interested in the world of science and math, stop by during one of the future meetings (10/21, 11/4, and 11/18) to see if S.T.E.M. is the club for you. They would love to have you!