Roughriders Give Demons a Rough Ride

Back to Article
Back to Article

Roughriders Give Demons a Rough Ride

Jaymin Kanzer, Reporter

Despite new quarterback Evan Heyl playing at the top of his game last Friday, the Glenwood Springs Demons varsity football team fought hard but weren’t able to get into the endzone often enough in a 34-8 loss to the Roosevelt Roughriders last Friday.

Because of the dental clinic that was held at Glenwood Springs High School, the game was held at Carbondale Middle School, which had a deep impact on the number of people in the stands. At kickoff, the number of people in the student section could be counted on one hand, and the Roughriders took advantage.

Before the game, the Demons found themselves in a bit of a pinch, playing great ball, but coming up short every time. The passing offense has been more consistent of late thanks to newcomer Heyl, and his ability is giving more players more options.

“I haven’t seen any hesitation with the coaching staff trust in Evan,” junior Tight End Wheatly Nieslanik says. “He has proven that he is capable of getting the job done as quarterback and Friday was no different.”

Running backs Elliot Walz and Blake Nieslanik played well. Heyl kept finding the open man and taking up short chunks of yardage passing for upwards of 80 yards. Unfortunately, the Demons offense couldn’t convert the yards into touchdowns. The only scoring the Demons saw was in the fourth quarter when Walz found a lane and put six on the board for Glenwood.

Roosevelt greeted the empty stands with touchdown on the opening kickoff that went 98 yards to the house to give the Roughriders a comfy 7-0 lead right away

“[The number of people in the stands] definitely affected us in the first half,” junior lineman Nolan Mcpherson said.

The Roughriders continued their onslaught on the Demons, and at the buzzer of halftime, the scoreboard read 34-0.

The Demons came out firing after the half, but couldn’t find the endzone until it was too late. Senior running back Elliot Walz waltzed into the endzone for a 3-yard touchdown late in the 4th quarter. That was the end of the road for the Demons, stopping the Roughriders, but weren’t able to convert and had to punt on their last drive of the night. 34-8 the final of this game

This Friday, the Demons take the short drive to Eagle Valley for a face-off between the Demons and Devils. If the Demons want a chance to play in November, this is a must-win game. “We need to win out, it’s as simple as that,” Nieslanik said regarding making the playoffs. As most of the games down the stretch are away, the Demons are going to need your support now more than ever. Make sure to come to the game this Friday at Eagle Valley High School at 7 p.m. If you can’t make it, it will be live broadcasted by KMTS on 99.1 FM or their website kmts.com.