Impressive Showings for GSHS Baseball

Back to Article
Back to Article

Impressive Showings for GSHS Baseball

Jaymin Kanzer, Reporter

The Glenwood Springs Demons had an impressive showing in the Gunnison tournament this past weekend. This game was moved from Gunnison to Montrose because of weather issues, but that didn’t stop the Demons from putting on a hitting clinic. Averaging 16.3 runs per game, the Demons demolished Pagosa Springs 22-0, and Olathe 19-4. In between victories, the Demons lost to the 16th in the state ranked Montrose Indians 14-8. The Demons jumped out to an early 2-0 lead thanks to senior catcher Kai Kanzer, who hit a towering blast to left field. Then in the 5th inning, Tyler Dollahan, a Senior, hit a three-run home run to tie the Indians 8-8. Junior Sam Fitzwilliams, Senior Sebastian ‘Chano’ Gonzalez, and Senior Leo Anchondo all got RBI’s in the loss. Senior Chano Gonzalez and Junior Cole Houston pitched in the loss. Both tossing three innings, Gonzalez letting in three runs and Houston letting in eight, sitting down six kids each, two hits off Gonzalez, and four off of Houston, and both letting six kids reach base via walk.
The Demons also had a tournament in Scottsdale, Arizona during spring break. Although the Demons lost all three games, they played against far better teams that they are going to face in the Western Slope 4A division again. Playing teams from all over, including Peoria, Arizona, Ashland, Oregon, and New Trier, Illinois. The Demons hung with all of these teams, which are easily 5 times better than anybody they will see while playing on the western slope. The first two games of this tournament, went into the last inning tied, but the Demons were walked off on in both games. The last game against the New Trier team was a slugfest. In the first two innings, 24 runs were scored. 20 by New Trier, and 4 for the Demons. But the Demons rallied, scoring 4 in the 2nd, and 8 in the 4th. Dylan Lee, a senior, that plays first base, was responsible for 5 of those runs, hitting a base-clearing triple, as well as a 2 RBI double. Houston started the game, but could not find the strike zone walking eight batters, letting 10 scores and only getting one out, so Lee was brought in for relief. This is when the defense let the team down. The Demons had six errors, resulting in 10 runs against, and this was all in the first inning. The Demons did rally and ended up with the final score being 23-12.
The Demons are down in Durango for games tonight and are going to be back by Saturday for the beginning of 4A league play against Rifle in Rifle.