Something Wicked This Way Comes

Back to Article
Back to Article

Something Wicked This Way Comes

Credits to Ethan Hibbard

Credits to Ethan Hibbard

Credits to Ethan Hibbard

Credits to Ethan Hibbard

Morgan Reed, Reporter

Glenwood Springs High School got a closer look at what it takes to put on a Shakespeare production, thanks to Macbeth.

The GSHS stage was lucky enough to have been visited by the Utah Shakespeare Festival on March 13. The nationally renowned traveling company of just six actors and two crew members took a modern spin on Shakespeare’s Macbeth and made the show fun and visually stimulating for the audience.

Upon walking into the Jeanie Miller Theatre, students were greeted by a nontraditional set design, with everything from scaffolding and metal trash-cans set up across the stage, along with heavy metal rock music playing over the speakers. As the audience took their seats and the lights dimmed, the talking and laughing stopped abruptly when three hunched figures clad with glowing glasses and robes of moss shot out of the trash cans. One played a rhythm on a canvas drum and danced around the stage with the other actors, cackling. It was immediately clear that these would come to be the audience’s’ favorite characters.

As the story progressed, the modern twists the USF took on the production became more and more fascinating and obscure. Included in these were puppets, a plethora of modern rock music and umbrellas were made to look like trees. Audience participation was also greatly encouraged. Turning the audience into the army that was to march upon Macbeth’s castle, and bringing a lucky student up on stage to participate created a much more exhilarating environment compared to what most teenagers think a classic Shakespeare production would entail.

Each actor, apart from Macbeth himself, had multiple roles to play, sometimes even in the same scene. But with subtle changes in costume and demeanor, the distinction was clear. After the performance, the actors came onto the stage and introduced themselves and listed off the several roles they played. Students were then allowed to spend most of the remainder of the afternoon in Shakespearean workshops. Three classes -Stage Combat, Working WIth Shakespeare’s Texts, and Improv- gave those who were already interested in Shakespeare and theatre a chance to enhance their skills. Those who were inspired by the USF’s performance were encouraged to participate as well, producing an intimate look at what it takes to perform at the elevated level that they do.

Having read and thoroughly analyzed the play earlier in the year, students were able to understand the plot of the play easily. During class, seeing a movie rendition of the story was helpful, but the USF’s take was refreshing and gave students a look at what it takes to put on a quality performance with limited resources and people.