Glenwood Girl’s swimming competes at state

Back to Article
Back to Article

Henry Barth

The Glenwood Springs swim team didn’t lose a single meet in the regular season this year.  The team continued their streak Friday and Saturday at the Southwest Conference Championships at Colorado Mesa University’s El Pomar Natatorium.  The women’s team notched 428 points, holding off Grand Junction by 69 points and ending their regular season 8-0.

The women’s freestyle relay team placed first in the 400 yard relay, Glenwoods only win in the whole meet.  Many demon swimmers placed second and third in their individual events, helping the deeply talented roster swim away with the win.  Freshman Elle MacPherson, Freshman Amy Madsen, Sophomore Kylee Smith, and Senior Kaitlyn Vanderhoof improved their past time in the 400 yard relay from 3:49.22 to 3:49.12.

Kylee Smith notched a second place finish in the 200 yard Freestyle, with a time of 1:59.81.  Amy Madsen clocked a time of 2:01.57 in the same event, putting her in 4th. Smith also finished third in the 100 yard Fly with a time of 1:02.35, Vanderhoof placed seventh in the 100 yard Freestyle with a time of 59.08 seconds.

Elle MacPherson and Macy Stinson both paced in the top four in the 200 yard Individual Medley, MacPherson placed second with a time of 2:21.29 and Stinson finished fourth, clocking a 2:24.36.  In addition senior Kendall Mueller place ninth in 100 yard Breaststroke, clocking a time of 1:14.94.

“The meet went super well, everybody but two people made it to the final heats.  Steve (Vanderhoof, the head coach) calculated everybody’s time, even from other teams, from prelims and helped the girls understand what they needed to do differently the next day (Saturday) to decrease their speed and place.” said Kendall Mueller.

Glenwood’s diving team also notched a third and eighth place from Abby Scruton with 312.05 points and her sister Celia Scruton with 241.60 points.

Glenwood sent 12 individual swimmers to compete at the state championships in Fort Collins.  The following swimmers competed at the state meet, Amy Madsen, Ellie MacPherson, Ella Lindenberg, Sophie Moone, Kylee Smith, Libby Claassen, Molly Hancock, Sally McDonnell, Haley Diemer, Kaitlyn Vanderhoof, Macy Stinson, and Kendall Mueller. Glenwood will send the 200 Medley, 200 Freestyle, and 400 Freestyle relay teams to the championships as well.

The Glenwood Springs swim team ended their very successful season with a 5th place finish in the 2019 Swimming State Championships, finishing with 197 points.  Placing ahead of Glenwood was Evergreen in first (428 points), Pueblo County in second (297 points), Kent Denver in third (279 points), and Aspen in fourth (241 points).

“State went well, we did a lot better than we thought we were going to.  It was a slow pool, but that worked to our advantage since we are a team with depth and not just a few really good swimmers.” said Kendall Mueller.

Freshman Amy Madsen finished seventh in the 200 yard Freestyle with a time of 2:01.36.  Sophomore Kylee Smith also swam in the 200 yard freestyle placing sixth with a time of 2:01.32.  Madsen finished sixth place in the 500 yard Freestyle with a time of 5:29.79 as well. Smith also took 10th in the 100 yard Fly, finishing with a time of 1:03.09.  Both the freshman and sophomore outstanding effort helped them end their seasons on a strong note.

The women swam well individually, but the most impressive finish in the state meet for the demons was placing third in the 400 yard Freestyle relay.  Madsen, Kaitlyn Vanderhoof, Ellie Macpherson, and Smith all put in an enormous amount of effort to finish with a time of 3:47.99, a season best. The 200 yard relay team also finished sixth with a time of 1:57.50.   

Glenwood is losing many seniors this year including Kendall Mueller, Kaitlyn Vanderhoof, Tig Swan, Macy Stinson, Mabel Ellison, and Cecelia Garcia.  But their deeply talented underclassmen will look to take the team under their wing