This is not a Cartoon. This is the Real World.

Morgan Reed, Reporter

Glass, directed by M. Night Shyamalan, teaches us the power of our differences, and that no matter how impossible it may seem, anyone’s talents are special in their own way and should be appreciated.

The film, starring Samuel L. Jackson, Bruce Willis, James McAvoy, and Sarah Paulson, is the epic conclusion of the trilogy that includes the films Unbreakable, released in 2000, and Split, released in 2017.

Each of the main characters, Elijah Price aka Mr. Glass (Samuel L. Jackson), David Dunn aka The Overseer (Bruce Willis), and Kevin Wendell Crumb aka The Beast (James McAvoy), have emerged from traumatic experiences in their past, all of which doing damage to their emotional and mental health, and are presumably responsible for their “superpowers.”

The determination of Mr. Glass is a suburb mirror to the unwavering dedication and sacrifice minorities in today’s society are forced to make every day. Having grown up as a victim not only of intense bullying, but also of the rare genetic disorder, Osteogenesis Imperfecta, or Brittle Bone Disease, Price serves as a the mythical burden for anyone who has felt significant oppression in their lives, and his struggles allowed the audience to identify with the character in a different way from the others. Where he couldn’t best his brain, he could certainly beat in a battle of wits, and Price uses his superhuman intelligence as a means to take advantage of others.

As the film progresses, so does the deterioration of Mr. Glass’s grip on reality. The years of both emotional and physical pain all seem to culminate in his grand plan to prove to the world that he truly is superhuman. However, this plan also includes the death of hundreds in order to defeat his arch nemesis, Willis’s character, David Dunn. It is slowly revealed to the audience that his determination is not to find someone to take on in a great battle or to show to the world that superheroes exist, but rather to gain the acceptance he was deprived of as a child.

McAvoy’s character, Kevin Wendell Crumb, is the most realistic and possibly the scariest character in the film for the simple fact that people with his “superpower” really do exist. Crumb suffers from Dissociative Identity Disorder or DID. Patients suffering from DID are categorized as having multiple personalities, all of which can be different genders, ages, and carry out different lives.

Like many people suffering from the disorder, Crumb’s condition comes from severe abuse as a child. In some cases, according to The Cleveland Clinic, the dissociation of personalities is often thought to be a coping mechanism for the abuse, so the victim’s don’t have to feel the pain, rather a different personality, in many cases personalities, takes the brunt of the abuse.

In the characters debut film Split, he kidnaps three teenage girls, which obviously didn’t sit well with viewers. However as his character progresses the audience soon learns that because of his extensive abuse, the personality he was born with is rarely brought into the light. One of the girls he kidnaps, Casey Cooke, played by Anya Taylor-Joy, is also a victim of severe abuse and eventually befriends the Kevin Wendell Crumb personality of her kidnapper.

McAvoy’s portrayal of each personality is breathtaking. Just a minuscule change in his face alters not only his demeanor but his personality, and it is immediately clear to the audience that it’s someone else’s turn to come into the light.

Unfortunately, the severity of Crumb’s disorder was not detected and therefore a new personality, known as The Beast, takes form as a protector of the personalities, or “The Horde.” Equipped with superhuman strength and animal-like abilities, his aim is to kill anyone who aims to hurt Crumb.

With the help of Taylor-Joy’s character, the audience is finally given a clear view of the once frighteningly real villain and very quickly sympathizes with him because of his past.

Through the strategic manipulation of Mr. Glass, The Beast is quickly coerced into a great battle with Willis’s character David Dunn, who is also the only character that did not embrace his superhuman abilities. Dunn is essentially the opposite of Mr. Glass, and has never once fallen ill or sustained an injury. The first appearance of his abilities are after a car crash with his girlfriend and later wife.

Dunn, unlike Mr. Glass, is in complete opposition to the idea of revealing to the world his abilities. When the three characters are taken into custody by Dr. Ellie Staple, played by Sarah Paulson, Dunn is the only one of the three who makes an effort to prove to Staple that he is not a superhero and should be allowed back into the outside world. In truth, Dunn is very aware of his super strength and healing abilities, but a life with his son Joseph, played by Spencer Clark is at stake.

At the climax of the film, when the three are in the middle of an all-out war, just when the story began to unfold, a dramatic and unexpected ending takes the audience by surprise.

Despite the fact that the film had the feel of “something out of a comic book,” a bigger message of society’s tendency to fear those that are different, and the overwhelming truth that it is willing to take great action to suppress them was translated in a different context but was still apparent.