Aspen Nordic and Alpine start their seasons off strong

Henry Barth, Reporter

The Aspen High School alpine team started their season Friday, January 11th at Aspen Highland, Their only home race.  The boys pulled off a team win and the girls finished as runner ups to Battle Mountain High School.

The Aspen boys finished with 170 points, pulling away from Battle Mountain and Vail Mountain, who both tied for 166 points.  The Battle Mountain girls held off Aspen with 173 points, Aspen placed second with 168 points, and Vail Mountain finished third with 155 points.  

The Aspen boys had three top ten finishes with Noah Foreman finishing seventh, Charlie Olson placing eighth, and James Kelly finishing tenth.  Glenwood’s JP Simpson came in 19th, qualifying for the State meet. Ethan DeMoreas crashed on his first run, and was disqualified from the race.  

Glenwood’s senior Levyn Thomas placed second just behind Battle Mountain’s senior Gretchen Pavelich.  Summer Mcswain another Aspen skier from Glenwood paced fourth helping the lady Skiers secure there second place finish.  Edie Sherlock (7th) also placed in the top ten for the Aspen girls.

The Aspen Nordic team started there season off hot with a team win from the Aspen boys and runner ups from the girls.  CRMS’s Kate Oldham finished first with a time of 21:23.8, Aspen’s Elizabeth Barsness was 10th with a time of 23:25.7.

Aspen’s Everett Olson finished 2nd with a time of 17:36.7 right behind Vail Mountain’s Cameron Wolfe who finished with a 17:35.1.  Aspen’s Colt Whitley (3rd) and Noah Wheeless (5th) also finished in the top 5.