Glenwood Football Recap

Back to Article
Back to Article

Glenwood Football Recap

Kai Kanzer

The 2018 Glenwood Springs Demons season came to an unfortunate ending  on November, 2. After a final push for the postseason, the Demons failed to make the playoffs for the fourth  straight year.

The Demons underwent a new head coach in the dean of students, Patrick Engle, who replaced long time head coach, Rocky Whitworth. Coach Whitworth’s 14-year career came to an end after 2017’s unfortunate 2-8 season. Whitworth, however, had a phenomenal coaching career with Glenwood Springs High School with a 57-27 overall record.

The Demons ended the season with a .500 record in 5-5. They were dominant at home with a record of 4-1, the same record against opponents in their 3A Western Slope league. Finishing second in their league was an accomplishment, but their opposite, 1-4 record in interleague games was the tipping point of their season. With that said, the Demons did compete with the top teams in the state, and just barely missed the playoffs. Junior, Kelton Mcpherson said, “There was nothing to hang our heads about, we had a fun season and we were very close to that playoff spot.” Senior starting quarterback, Max Lemkau elaborated on that saying, “We did better than our last couple seasons.” Proving that Glenwood Springs Demon Football could be dominant in years to come.

Four players made Colorado High School Activities Association (CHSAA) All-Conference. Meaning these players were nominated by coaches to play in an All-Conference game. “When athletes are voted to an All-Conference Team, selection will be based upon their performance in games, and in the classroom.” (USA South Academic All-Conference)

Nose Guard and Tight End, Kelton McPherson was All-Conference along with teammates: 17th in all of 3A in rushing yards, Gavin Olson. Senior running back, Luke Gair, top wide receiver Wyatt Ewer, and one of Glenwoods captains, Alex Rodriguez.

Glenwood lost 17 seniors to their roster, including their starting, backup, and third string Quarterbacks, which could be a reason for Glenwoods lack of pass offence in the 2018 season.

Junior, Dylan Albright is preparing to be next years starting quarterback after his last three years he only has had 7 varsity games played, but in those games he has been dynamic, completing 28 of 20 passes and a 4/0 touchdown to interception ratio. A quarterback passer rating is a measurement of the performance of quarterbacks, passer rating  is on a scale from 0 to 158.3. On that scale Albright falls at a 132.6 which is very good.