Demons soccer recap

Leonardo Anchondo

Entering the 2018 fall season, expectations were high on football and volleyball, for Glenwood Springs as they were a year removed from having impressive years. The Glenwood Soccer team had other ideas however as they would go on to stun Glenwood Springs High School in one of the most unexpected runs in recent school history.

On August 24, The Glenwood Demons soccer team opened their season taking on the Durango Demons in Durango. Although jumping to an early 1-0 lead, Glenwood could not defend properly against the high powered Durango team leading to 3 unanswered goals by them, who would go on to win that game 3-1. Durango would remain a top team in the 4A standings for the remainder of the year.

As the season progressed, Glenwood found themselves in a hole, as they sat 1-3 on the season, and had just came off a brutal 4-1 loss to Montrose high school. As early desperation set in, the team held a players only meeting which resulted in the turning point of their season.

“After the Montrose loss, they came up with change,” Said Head Coach, Wayne Smith, “They decided to work harder in practice to be better fit for the second half, as well as practice doing a better job on corners and free kick”  

Following the players only meeting, Glenwood went on a 10 game unbeaten streak, winning 9 games and tying one game in the span of 1 month. Defeating league rivals such as Eagle Valley, Rifle, Steamboat, and Summit finishing the regular season with 5 shutouts.

On the last game of the season Glenwood sat with a record of 10-3-1 and had a chance to come away with their first league title if they could defeat Battle Mountain, and have Steamboat follow up in beating Battle Mountain the next day. Unfortunately, Glenwood lost their last game of the year to Battle Mountain by a score of 2-0, ending their hopes of being crown 4A Western Slope Champions.

Glenwood ranked 20th in CHSAA rpi rankings, entering them into the 4A state playoffs as the 20th seed. Glenwood would first match up against No. 13 Discovery Canyon. In what was a defensive battle, Glenwood came away with the upset win over Discovery Canyon by a score of 1-0, giving Glenwood their 6th shutout victory.

Glenwood would be matched up against No. 4 Durango high school, in what would be a rematch of Glenwood’s season opener. On paper this would have appear to be a total mismatch as it was a No. 4 Durango vs No. 20 Glenwood.

“We weren’t intimated, I thought we could play with anyone in the state” said Smith, “I think higher seeded teams underestimated us.”

Glenwood, who had improved on the weakness that lead to their defeat in Durango during their opener, once again pulled off the 1-0 upset win, stunning just about everyone in the 4A playoff tournament, capturing their 7th shutout of the season and advancing to the state quarterfinals.

Glenwood would face off against another team reeling off multiple upset wins, as they would take on No. 28 Kennedy, who had defeated No. 5 Battle Mountain and No. 21 Thomas Jefferson. In a high scoring affair, Glenwood would come out victorious with a score of 5-4, advancing Glenwood into the state semifinals against No. 1 Air Academy, marking the furthest the team had ever come in the state playoffs.

On November 7, Glenwood faced off against No. 1 Air Academy at Legacy Stadium for a chance to advance to their first ever state championship game. Although Glenwood would score first, Air Academy would score 3 unanswered goals, leading to Glenwood’s defeat to the eventual 4A State Champions.

Glenwood finished with a 13-5-1 record, and will have six seniors departing the program.  

“We want this success to continue and stay on this level” said Smith, “we really appreciated the students and the school support.”