The Best at GSHS Play for a Guest

Morgan Reed, Reporter

A selective group of Glenwood Springs High School musicians will have a chance to toot their horns in front of a special guest conductor.

12 schools in Colorado (Aspen, Eagle Valley, Coal Ridge, Rifle, Basalt, Soroco, Battle Mountain, Middle Park, Summit, and West Grand) will join seven GSHS band members at the Harris Theatre in Aspen, Colorado, November 2-3. The selected students will have the opportunity to work with a guest conductor to perfect their music skills.

“Students play a major, minor, and chromatic scale on a certain range on their instrument and at a certain tempo,” said Timothy Caskin, the new GSHS band director, “Students also prepare an etude, or a short musical exercise on their respective instruments.” After the students’ auditions are evaluated by Mr.Caskin, if they are accepted they are required to prepare 5 additional pieces of music. This will include such titles as: Flourish for Wind Band by R. Vaughan Williams, Divinum Mysterium by James Swearingen, Within These Castle Walls by Brian Balmages, Abracadabra by Frank Ticheli, Snake Charmer by Randall Standridge.

This year, seven GSHS band members were accepted into the prestigious honor band, including Bryce Risner (senior/Clarinet), Okko Wittenberg (junior/trumpet), Isabella Nevin (sophomore/Clarinet), Abigail Cook (sophomore/Oboe), Grace Haberern (sophomore/Bass Clarinet), Ayden Arber (sophomore/percussion), and Daniela Barajas (freshman/Clarinet).

“I am way more excited than anxious if anything for honor band,” said Ayden Arbar, a sophomore percussionist, “It proves my great potential and places me in advancement in front of others and shows my true talent,” Arbar added. The program highlights advanced students skills and gives them a taste of competition, and what a more professional world in the music industry has to offer.