Homecoming Sweet for Demon Football

Jaymin Kanzer, Sports Reporter

Last week was Homecoming at Glenwood Springs High School, but the Demons football team wasn’t very welcoming to the visiting guests.

In the team’s first league game, the Demons had their dancing shoes on as they stomped the Eagle Valley Devils 41-0. Glenwood Springs (2-4) utilized a powerful front line and versatile running backs to overwhelm the Devils (2-4) from the opening kick. Luke Gair, Gavin Olsen, and Elliot Walz carved up the Devils defense on the ground, rushing for 195 yards and five touchdowns combined.

Walz started off the Demons scoring, with a five-yard touchdown run on the first offensive drive to put the Demons up 7-0. Then, on the next drive, Gair added a five-yard touchdown run and the rout was on.

An interception by Erwin Rodriguez led to a nine-yard touchdown run by Olsen. After three lockdown plays from the stingy Demons defense, the Devils were pinned inside their own 20 yard line. Eagle Valley’s punter, Bryan Garcia, took the snap to punt it to Glenwood’s kick returner, Wyatt Ewer, but Ewer never got the chance to receive the punt as it was blocked by the Demons and scooped up for another easy touchdown.

Olsen scampered 25 yards for another touchdown and Gair capped off the dominant rushing attack with a 37-yard touchdown to put the game away.

Because the Demons were up 41-0 at the half, this gave some underclassmen the chance to get in and play. Jahirie Labare and Garrett Dollahan, both sophomores, jumped into the muddy fray. Dollahan ran for six yards on three rushes, and a long of four yards, while Labare got three rushes for 19 yards and a long of 12 yards.

The Demons hope to keep their momentum going as they travel to Palisade on Thursday night. As the Devils hope to change their bad luck as they travel to Summit on Friday night.