Assistant Athletic director and basketball head coach heads to New Mexico

Leonardo Anchondo

Although the 2018-2019 school year is just getting underway, the Glenwood Springs High School athletic program has already suffered a monumental loss.

Cory Hitchcock, the school’s Assistant Athletic Director and Head Boys Basketball Coach, has agreed on to coach at the next level. After nine years, Hitchcock has agreed to coach the women’s basketball team at University of the Southwest in Hobbs, New Mexico.

“I think in my time here we accomplished what I wanted to do, which was get the community excited about the basketball program again,” said Hitchcock.

In Hitchcock time here at GSHS, he compiled a 114-78 record, leading the varsity program to multiple league Championships. Hitchcock’s success could be attributed to his personal bond with the students and athletes.

“anytime you have an opportunity know the players, and  the school, it really gives you a great benefit,” said Hitchcock.

Hitchcock will go down as one of Glenwood Springs most successful coaches, which is evident considering his upcoming job. This however does not demonstrate the great and profound relationship he had with the school staff and the students.

“I appreciate everyone who took the time to know me,” said Hitchcock “I’ll be leaving with a lot of great memories but also great friendship.”

The office staff will no doubt miss the man who worked there for nine years, but the most affected by this will be the many students and basketball players who built a great personal bond with Hitchcock over the years.

“It will impact the Basketball team,” said senior Basketball player Kevin Ayon, “we all had great relationships with him on and off the court.”

Although Hitchcock will no longer remain at GSHS, he will leave the school with a lasting impact.

“It’s different not seeing him every day, but he had a great impact on the school,” said Ayon.