Fire and Ice to Heat Up Homecoming

James Howell, Reporter

Although the school year has only just started, Glenwood Springs High School’s homecoming is right around the corner. This year, Student Body Secretary, Levyn Thomas, warns that the temperature may be a concern.

Thomas went in-depth with all of the must-know details of the homecoming festivities at GSHS for this year.

“We want to make it really fun and make sure everyone has a good time, and that all grades participate because in the past years because sometimes the freshman have felt left out or not had as much help on the window painting or float building,” Thomas said. “We just want to make sure that all four grades get the best homecoming; the seniors have the best one to leave and the freshman feel welcome coming into their first year of high school.”

You can thank the theme of the dance for the problematic climate: fire and ice. When coming up with ideas, the student body wanted something easy when incorporating the spirit days, as well as decorations, leading them to choose the theme of fire and ice.

Student council plans to fundraise for spirit days during homecoming week. 

“There will be a list of about 13 different spirit day ideas,” Thomas said. “We’re going to get jars and place them in the office and each jar will be labelled a different day. Then students can go put money in the jars, coins or dollar bills, whatever they want, and at the end, the top four jars with the most money will be our spirit days!”  

This idea allows students to have a say which spirit days they would most enjoy. The Thirst Project, a non-profit organization, aims to bring safe drinking water to communities around the world where it is not immediately available. Student council plans to donate all homecoming proceeds to The Thirst Project.

Homecoming week begins October 1st, and festivities end October 6. There will be a football game against the Eagle Valley Devils on Friday, October 5 at 7 p.m. There will also be a volleyball game against the Steamboat Sailors from 11-2 p.m. on the 6th. The Homecoming Dance is on October 6, from 8-11 p.m. Don’t forget to support our school and show your Demon pride this homecoming!