Glenwood Football turns the page with new coach Pat Engle

Kai Kanzer, Reporter

Glenwood Springs Demon Athletics embarks on a new era of football, Assistant Principal, Pat Engle stepped up and now has became the new head coach and face of Demon Football.

After 14 years of coaching football at GSHS, Coach Rocky Whitworth stepped down from his respected position.

With the hunt for the new head coach job not being too successful, Pat Engle “had to jump on the opportunity” when the opportunity came up.

Impacted greatly by football coaches in his life, Engle truly believed that was something he wanted to do. Early on in his career, he was head football coach at Battle Mountain High School. He truly loved the opportunity to work with kids, and football was just another positive of what he does for a living,

“We have fantastic kids playing football and they are outstanding young men. And i’m very lucky to be called coach by them.”

The task of being an important administrator of a high school is tough alone, let alone be the head coach of the entire football team. Although both jobs are not easy tasks he will learn to adapt and adjust.

Engle is very positive on the future of the team, “[for us to] go 80 yards on our first drive” is something exceptional. The drive he is referring to occured against a top 10 team in the state: Holy Family out of Broomfield, Colorado. Holy Family took down the reigning 2017 4A state champions, Pueblo South 19-7 to open the 2018 season.

“…we can play with anyone in the state [and our] kids have a lot of confidence.” said Engle  

Glenwood has a very tough schedule ahead of them which inspires Engle’s philosophy, “In order to be the best, you have to be the best”

Safety and backup quarterback, Dylan Albright is optimistic that The Demons will make a playoff run this year.

That doesn’t come easy though, “We have a ways to go and a lot of work to put in to achieve our goal.”

He says he likes where the football team is at in terms of the rest of the season, “If we can limit our mistakes and really focus on what we can control, we can hopefully win the rest of our season.”