29th Annual Art Show Showcases GSHS Talent

Zeva Carruth

At the end of every school year, Glenwood Springs High School (GSHS) hosts an Art Show, a place where students are able to showcase their work to the school and the community.

Each year, the GSHS Art Show proves to be very diverse with the many types of art displayed. The pieces in the show include various works of art, such as photography, jewelry, sewing, sculpting, AP art, art 1, and even stained glass.  

Throughout the year, the art teachers and students prepare for the show by putting in incredible time and effort into their individual pieces, many students even coming in outside of school hours to perfect their artwork.

GSHS Art 1 and AP Art teacher, Tish McFee, explained the kind of work that goes into a show like this.

McFee said, “I try to get my students prepared for the show by helping them finish their artwork to the degree that they’d be comfortable having it up in public. I want them to be proud and I want them to feel like their piece expresses who they are.”

GSHS Graphic Design, Photography, and Art 1 teacher, John Linn, held a similar sentiment.

“I try to let my students know early on that their work will be on display later in the year. I think it serves as a good motivator and it drives them to create something that’s worth sharing,” said Linn.

Linn went on to explain the benefits of the show and how impactful it could be in a student’s life.

“My favorite part of the Art Show is when I see students grabbing their parents and walking them around, showing them their work. It’s always nice to see a student proud of all the hard work they put into their piece,” said Linn.

McFee explained that the Art Show isn’t the only important aspect of the GSHS arts curriculum. She also added how art classes in general can improve a student’s everyday life.

“Art classes teach students creative thinking, which is needed in nearly every career. Also, art gives a student an escape from the purely academic mindset they’re used to and gives them time to let loose and just create something,” said McFee.

AP Art student, Dakota Griffin, agrees with Linn and McFee about the impact both the art show and art classes can have on a student.

From personal experience, Griffin explains that it’s critical for a student to have at least one art class.

“It’s important to have a break from all the academic classes to have time to release tension and express yourself in some way,” she says.

The Art Show is a meaningful, culminating experience for students. “The Art Show is important to me because I love watching people look at my art and contemplate its meaning. It’s fun because every person has a different perspective on the piece. It’s nice knowing that my art makes people think because I don’t just create art for myself, I create it for others as well,” says Griffin.

Linn and McFee urge students to participate in a GSHS art class or even just take time to visit the Art Show and evaluate each piece.

Be sure to keep an eye out for the annual Art Show and possibly even the next Picasso, walking the halls of GSHS.

art by Sebastian Arreola