Union through Lacrosse

Shanik Zambrano

An increasingly popular sport in the Roaring Fork Valley, lacrosse has caused the interest of many athletes at Glenwood Springs High School (GSHS), and has helped them excel both physically and mentally. The teams’ leadership consisted of numerous talented players, and has helped the lacrosse team become well known and victorious.

Senior Zach Johnson says that lacrosse “has brought a lot of people together, it’s brought some new players together that are now close friends, and I’ve met some quality people and made some cool connections through this sport.”

Since lacrosse is a district wide sport, it has brought boys from Carbondale, Basalt, and even New Castle together to play side by side.

GSHS Athletic Director Craig Denney says, lacrosse “has brought a new sport to the valley.  Lacrosse players, they’re a mix, so it creates a bigger sense of community and brings kids together. It has also given our kids an ability, who may not be into other sports, to have a sport.”

Lacrosse provides a new and wonderful opportunity for boys in high school. It allows them to change the community by bringing people together and creating new relationships.

GSHS Sophomore Kelton McPherson says, “Lacrosse is growing very quickly worldwide, and it gives young athletes more options to explore in the world of sports.”

Although the lacrosse team had a tough season resulting with the scores of 4-11, they still remain optimistic and learn from their mistakes.

McPherson says “there have been a lot of really close games, when we were only a few points from winning, and even though we lost most of them it was still a good experience for all of us. It brought us closer as a team and taught us to work harder.”

Although it was a tough season for the GSHS lacrosse team, Denney says, “The two seniors on our team were really good leaders, they played for the right reasons. They love the game.”

The strong leadership on the team will benefit the younger team members in the future seasons.

Lacrosse has showed Johnson that “hard work actually pays off.” He explains “because I have put in a lot of work into this sport, [I made] All Conference, [and it] has been really cool to see how [my efforts] have paid off.”

As lacrosse continues to thrive in the valley, the team will see success in their future and will continue to unite young athletes and create new friendships.