Impact Club Brings Famous Climate Change Activist to GSHS

Zeva Carruth

Glenwood Springs High School’s (GSHS) Impact Club, an environmental service group, has begun spreading awareness to students in an attempt to address the growing global issue of climate change.

The club meets weekly during lunch, and plans volunteer activities throughout the community, based on important issues.

President of Impact Club and GSHS Senior, Erin Bucchin, says that in the past, the members have, “build trails in the spring and in the fall and do garbage clean-ups when there’s no snow.”

This year the club’s main goal is to focus on expanding their impact.

Faculty Advisor and GSHS Science Teacher, Rob Norville, noted that although GSHS has plenty of  “environmentally-sound students,” that doesn’t mean that everyone is completely educated on environmental issues and how to address them.

“Impact Club helps bring attention to the potential problems facing the valley and provides students with solutions to these issues,” said Norville.

Bucchin stated that, “there’s not much information around the school [GSHS] educating people about the environment, so [Impact Club] is basically your only outlet.”

“The cool thing about Impact Club is that it helps educate, and gives students that haven’t been brought up in extremely environmental households a chance to give back to their community and learn about the effect their life has on the Earth,” said Impact Club Member and GSHS Junior, Julia Mulhall.

Focusing on their goal of education, the Impact Club recently held an assembly to kick off the Roaring Fork Valley-wide ChangeMakers challenge. The assembly was guided by 18 year-old environmental activist and Earth Guardians director, Xiuhtezcatl Martinez.

Martinez began fighting for change at a young age. According to www.earthguardians.org, at the early age of six, Xiuhtezcatl began speaking around the world, from the Rio+20 United Nations Summit in Rio de Janeiro, to addressing the General Assembly at the United Nations in New York City.

At the assembly, Martinez performed some lyrics from his environmentally-focused rap songs, explained the ChangeMakers challenge, and answered some questions from students and faculty.

The Impact Club then came in, alongside Martinez, and helped explain the challenge to the students of GSHS. All the students had to do to contribute to the competition was take a picture of themselves participating in the environmental challenge of the day, tag the Impact Club or use #ChangeMakersChallenge, and post it to any social media to place their school at a higher probability of winning the grand prize, a $2,000 scholarship.  

The Impact Club members are excited and hopeful about growing climate awareness at GSHS.

Bucchin said that she hoped the assembly and the challenge would, “show kids that they have a voice and that there’s ways for them to make an impact in the world.”

Mulhall added, “I hope it opens people’s eyes and helps them realize the impact we’re making on our Earth.”

Norville explained that, “If we can even change one bad habit or promote one good habit then we’ve made an impact, and hopefully it serves as a gateway to further action in the community.”

The Impact Club urges students to participate in the challenge and to find a small solution in their everyday lives to help in the fight against climate change. Also, they want to remind everyone that there’s always room for new members in the club and that they would love to see some new faces.

Visit the GSHS Impact Club facebook page for more information on the ChangeMakers challenge and how you can make a difference.