Student to Watch: Mitchell Burt

Back to Article
Back to Article

Student to Watch: Mitchell Burt

Sophomore Mitchell Burt’s love for education and his work ethic are what make him stand out at Glenwood Springs High School (GSHS). Not only is Burt a remarkable student, he also excels in sports and extracurricular activities.

Playing two sports and participating in several after school activities, Burt still manages to be very responsible with his school work, achieving a 3.9 GPA.

Burt says, “It’s normally not too bad to keep up with school and sports and everything else, but sometimes it gets to be a lot. I always do my homework as soon as I get home from soccer practice, then do any chores that I have to do before going to sleep.”

Burt attributes much of his success in school to his parents. “From a young age, my parents taught me the importance of gaining an education, and how doing well in school can open up opportunities for the future.”

Although maintaining a 3.9 GPA may be very challenging, Burt says, “My parents taught me the importance of enjoying my teenage years and not killing myself over getting good grades. For me its a balance between school, sports and other activities.”

This motivation to excel in and out of school has also inspired his friends and peers, such as Sophomore Eli Page.

According to Page, “He has always motivated me to be a better person and sets an awesome example of who I want to be like in the future. He is very diligent and motivated…he’s an inspiration to me.”

Burt is not only a model to his friends, but also to many others at GSHS. His consistent effort in school inspires students who see his hard work in class.

GSHS Biology teacher Justin Silcox says, “Mitchell leads by example, so he is always focused and he always gets his work done. When I put him in a group with other students I know work is going to be done because other students see how focused he is.”

Although Burt has an overwhelming schedule, his participation in sports and attending seminary every morning does not prevent him from spending time with his friends.

Page says, Burt “is always there for you when you need him.”

Burt is a very unique student, maintaining exceptional grades while being involved in multiple activities in and outside of school. His dedication and hard work are what make him stand out at GSHS. Many look up to Burt as a role model who is focused and hard working student. Burt hopes to head to a prestigious university when he finishes high school, and wants to pursue a career in the medical field.