17-18 Demons Basketball

Leonardo Anchondo

The 2017-2018 Glenwood Springs basketball team went on a terrific tear through this season. This year, the Demons finished their season with a record of 19-4, which was good enough to earn them the Western Slope league championship the third time in four years.

After the Demons lost their first game of the season to Cheyenne Mountain High School back in November, they never looked back, as they went on to be 19-3 the rest of the season to finish 19-4, easily clinching the 4A Western Slope League, and finishing in the top 16 (11th place) in the 4A league earning themself a first round bye week in the playoff bracket. The success of the team revolved much around the leadership and strong effort of this year’s senior class.

“I would say the leadership of our seniors has been really strong; AJ Crowley and Aaron Smith have been leading the way all year,’’ said 8th year head coach, Cory Hitchcock.

The Demons were driven by the senior’s great leadership, which saw a great level of performance from all the seniors. The great effort won Glenwood it’s third league championship in four years, which has become something the Demons basketball program has become accustomed to.

“The captains and seniors have been really good,” said Sophomore Adam Schrader. “They helped us win the league championship.”

The Demon’s great effort this year has helped them go undefeated in league play for the second time in four years. This is a new experience for the whole team, with the exception of the seniors, which have gone undefeated before.

“We feel really good about our team, we’ve worked hard all season and we have really earned it.” said Schrader.

The Junior class was also a major contributor to the success of the team’s season. The Junior class contained seven juniors on the varsity team, each one playing a crucial part in the success of this year’s team.

In response to his upcoming departure from the program, Senior Alexander Crowley said,“ I definitely think they [Junior class] will continue to compete; the Junior class is loaded with talent.”

The Junior class, along with the strong upcoming Sophomore class, will give Glenwood more terrific seasons to come.

For years, the Demon’s basketball program has not disappointed, having had 11 winning seasons in the last 13 years.  Although Glenwood’s season came to a disappointing end at the hands of Mesa Ridge High School in the second round of the state’s playoffs this year, they were able to put together one of its most impressive seasons in school history.

“This year has been exciting, our turn outs have been amazing, I just want to thank everyone who showed support throughout the season,” said Hitchcock.